How fast can 10 fish eat a dead platy?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cliffy1203

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello all,
One of my sunburst platys has been 'circling the drain' for a while now and I think he has died.

Except, there's no corpse anywhere. I thought maybe he jumped out; I looked all around the area surrounding the tank, but no fish on the floor. And my whole family has been looking at the tank all day with no sign of him.

Is it possible that my other fish could have eaten him? I can't find a shred of evidence that he was ever in the tank at all... Could other assorted community fish eat a dead fish and leave nothing behind? I though there would be some half-eaten fish carcass at least.

And if they ate him, could they do it in one day?

Thanks in advance for all your help.

Bill:fish2:

My stock:
two pineapple swordtails (male/female)
Two red wag swordtails (male female)
Two dwarf gouramis
Was two sunburst platys, now probably only one
Three black sailfin mollies (two male, one female)

I was thinking that maybe the filter could have gotten him, but he wasn't that small, and the filter tubes have a little gate or screen on them. I run two filters (an AquaClear 70 and Eheim Ecco Pro).

sounds like you have a ghost fish in your tank that's stealing fish when your not looking

A dead platy will be picked at and within a day could be entirely consumed by the inhabitants you listed. There may be slight remainders of the body somewhere so small just hidden in plants or ornaments.

I guess anything is possible (sorry for your loss). You'll want to pull the tank apart though to try to find any remains if there are some as a decaying fish will foul up your water quality very quickly. Check the filters too, just in case, can't hurt to check. And I'd advise a water test and a 50% water change just to clean out the water. Again sorry about your fish. :(

Parts could have been eaten and parts into the filter as well. Anything is possible i guess. And i forgot to mention, sorry about your loss.

Back
Top Bottom