How good is filter floss in a HOB?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I use filter floss in both my AC and my Fluval canister. I buy several ounces at a time online and it usually lasts for a month or so in both. I also use a poly bag to stuff the floss into because as Rich and MSU fan mentions, it can dislodge if left loose.

This is actually my first post (I had been considering posting the details of my first truly planted tank soon). I'm still seeing a few fine particles from the replacement media I laid down in my tank four days ago (peat/sand covered with Eco-complete), and I'm very glad to see this thread. I may throw in a poly layer in my filter to see if it helps.

The only thing I'd be concerned about the media is the ability of plastics (polyethylene, polypro, etc.) to house bacteria (just to back this up, I have a biochem degree and years of lab work). It should be great as a mechanical filter, but it won't have the surface area to be great biologically, so taking out a huge percentage of your other filter media for it might be counterproductive if you don't test often afterwards. Squishing it down should do nothing but help filter, as long as it doesn't significantly hinder your filter flow rate.

I quickly decided in this hobby that you're almost always better off using a bit of one thing to do one job, and a bit of another to do the other job...rather than trying to compromise with a jack of all trades method. Balance is probably the biggest lesson fish have taught me, and I truly appreciate it.

The surface area will not be an issue so long as you do not compromise your intended bio media. I use the filter floss as a replacement for charcoal.

I would hope no one read this thread and assumed the filter floss is a "replacement" for bio-media, just an additional mechanical filter.

*edit* I get the poly bags online, same as the Filter floss. Your LFS should have a variety of sizes, you will probably have to ask why they are not in stock.

Jchillin said:
...I use the filter floss as a replacement for charcoal.

I would hope no one read this thread and assumed the filter floss is a "replacement" for bio-media, just an additional mechanical filter...

Well put. Most of the people here seem smart enough to know that activated carbon isn't great long term. It strips so much immediately (which is why I've used it often for enzyme assays) but quickly plugs up and just becomes another, poor, home for bacteria. Something like a polyethylene filter is pretty much the same, except a rinse will return it to normal, if you don't want to throw it away and make a new one. Plus your tank shouldn't have a lot of particles floating, long term, anyway if you get rid of the first batch.

I do think it can be used as both a bio-media and a mechanical filter. I used only floss in the AC filter before and it worked good.

Thanks jchillin, I'll look at another LFS. The one I went only had the 3x8 bags, I want something wider than that.

So I've had this in my HOB now for about 4 hours. While my water isn't perfectly clear yet, it is immensely better - 1000%! Very impressed, and glad this thread was started. I bet by morning it'll be clear as the day I filled it.

Thanks for everyone's advice!

Back
Top Bottom