How good is filter floss in a HOB?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

7Enigma

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hey everyone,

I have recently not been too thrilled with my AC HOB's filtering of fine particles (its probably always been this way), and would like to try something different with the inserts for better filtration.

Right now I have a sponge on the bottom, the ceramic beads in the middle, and another sponge on top.

I'd like to replace the top sponge with something to get finer filtration, and wondered if something like filter floss would accomplish this.

Thanks!

Can someone show me exactly what filter floss is as well? Is it just the micro filtering stuff you buy in bulk and cut to size?

Here is an example. It looks like cotton but I believe it's polyester.

7enigma, I'm using it now on a small ac filter, which is what it sounds like you might be using. I went to it for the same exact reason and have been quite pleased with it.

you can buy polyester fluff/stuffing/floss at the fabric or craft store (minesotta fabrics, joanns, micheals) It is probably $4.00 for a huge bag, rather than $4 for 7oz. Then you can use the excess to make a bed for you pet or a stuffed animal for your child.

I too use some floss in my AC HOB filter and even in my little internal ones. Then rinse just like we do the sponges and rings when they get gooey.

Is it conceivable to run this stuff in place of the standard filters for my HOB? Right now I'm running the standard filter and ceramic rings in the 2 slots I have available. Is the standard filter worth anything?

IMO it is a reasonable practice to run the "regular" filter or sponge to catch the larger pieces and use the floss as a final media to remove only the small particles. That way it will not get clogged up as fast.

just remember that because it is a HOB, you will want to enclose the floss somehow or it will get into the tank. In my case, I have an Emperor 280, and it has gotten into the spray bar that pushes the biowheel.

Makes sense.
Im also running the emp 280, but I've got a lot of fine particles in my tank I want to clear out, it sounds like this floss is a good way to do that. I'm currently running the normal filter and ceramic rings. Is there a way to sustain what's on the rings since I don't think I can get all 3 mediums in there.

Also, MSU, did you find a way to house the floss and keep that from happening?

I use filter floss in all my HOBs for water polishing rather than activated carbon. Does an excellent job.

So where should it go in the AC filters? I have as previously mentioned:

-sponge, bottom level, mechanical, where all the large debris gets caught

-ceramic media, middle level, primary biological filter

-sponge, top level, for additional room for biofilter and catches anything that passes through the first 2

This stuff sounds like it would do better on a middle level since I don't want it getting into the tank, and also don't want any problems with leaking (I could imagine some of the floss wicking out of the filter).

So do I just get rid of the top filter and keep the other 2? In that case it would be (from bottom to top):

-sponge
-filter floss
-ceramic media

Or should I forget the ceramic media and go:

-sponge
-filter floss
-sponge

I am rather heavily planted so I feel I kind of need more mechanical filtration than actual biological (but I will be heavily stocked with fish).

I put it between the sponge and the bio media. It does do a decent job cleaning up the water. Don't jam to much in or the filter wont move enough water and you can get an overflow. Trust me I found out the hard way. Only lost a gallon or two fortunately.

Those quick connect filters that attach to an AC PH do a really fabulous job. I was really impressed the first time I tried it.

Just to make sure this is sold as 100% polyester stuffing? Right next to PetSmart is AC Moore, so I'll stop by there on my way home and pick up a bag. I just don't want to get the wrong thing.

I assume then you just rinse it out in the sink before the first use? And then like the other inserts just rinse in tank water and reuse it? Thanks for all the help and the quick responses everyone!

I bought the floss (100% polyester) from HomeDepot before Christmas around $3.5 a bag (enough for a year or two), but the HomeDepot may don't have it now.

I used it in my both AC filters and very happy with it.

Mini filter: from bottom to top,
floss
ceramic media

Aqua Clear Aquarium Filters by Hagen 300/70: from bottom to top,
sponge (since the filter is a new one, It has sponge. When it is not usable, I won't use sponge any more)
floss
ceramic media and a small bag of crushed coral

I don't have 3 slots. Is it possible in the Emporer 280 to just "cram" this in between the filter and the rings? There's a slight gap in there.

Also, how much (thickness) is appropriate?

It seems that any combination will work, but I often organize it like this in my AC HOB(top to bottom):
-biomedia (ceramic rings)
-sponge
-pancake of filter floss covering the bottom sponge
-sponge

clears the water right up!

I use pillow stuffing (filter floss) in all my filters including my canister. For the money it just can't be beat. My parents picked up a big bag of the stuff at Lowe's for $0.75. Has no added chemicals or any of that anti-mold crap.

It's great because you don't have to worry about throwing it away. If it is dirty, just toss it! A handful barely cost anything.

I use sponge, filter floss, rings. The sponge on top of floss wouldn't do anything as the floss would catch and plug up faster.

As others have said the course material needs to be on the bottom (1st in line).

The floss is so cheap I toss and replace when needed.

Alright, picked some up on the way home. Like I said, there's not technically room for this in my HOB, but I was able to compress it in there in between the filter and the ceramic rings. I assume squishing it in there isnt going to work against me, right? Flow seems to be close to normal.

Hope this works! Thanks for the tips guys!

Back
Top Bottom