How high can i fill my tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
One clarification I wanted to make is: level the bottom of the stand and not the bottom of the tank. Shims under the stand should work. If your tank has a glass cover I see no reason not to fill right up almost to it.

Honcho... awesome avatar.. rock on

i fill mine just so you dont see the water line... when i see the water line i know its time to do a PWC, which is roughly once a week.

I fill my tanks as full as I can get them. I really hate to see a water line and cant stand the splashing while trying to hear T.V. The 180 has full glass lids so evaporation isnt a problem, but the 55 has cheap plastic lids and evaporates so darn fast so I fill it all the way up. The smaller tanks like the 20L, two 10's and 5, I fill to just above the black trim on top.

To review from the very first post in this thread:

Jchillin said:
From your pic, it looks like the left side is the problem. I would suggest leveling it off. This can be done with a few pieces of wood directly under the stand. That will prevent problems in the future.

You should keep the water line just below the entry of your filter output. This allows for minimal splashing noise and just enough to aerate the tank. I assume you have an HOB

This thread is now three pages...

Carpet surfing or your fish taking a walkabout is the dive from their fish tank to the floor. Most of the time you find them after they are dried up and long gone. :cry:

EDIT: just saw the next page of replies....oops

Back
Top Bottom