How is my cycle going?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
First off reread the test kit instructions to ensure that you are testing correctly. If you are following the instructions correctly, then I would suspect that you may have a bad test kit. Check the dates on your kits to ensure that they aren't expired. Take a sample of your water to the LFS to double check your results. If the results match, then it may be that there just hasn't been enough Ammonia converted for there to be a visible change in the levels of Nitrite and Nitrate.

Its funny you should say that as the guy at my LFS just now said I may have a dodgy test kit. However, I have read the instructions and am following them precisely. I have also tested my old tank water which shows Ammonia 0, Nitrite 0, Nitrate 40, PH 7.8, which ties in with what you would expect and also with the results I got using test strips. So I doubt very much that it is either my procedure or the test kit that is at fault.
I'm now on Day 47 of the cycle and I put the Danios and Minows in pretty much from the start. The other fish followed 3 or 4 weeks later. I only feed once a day with flakes and catfish pellets. I put in enough flakes so that some sink to the Dennison Barbs before the Danios gobble them all and I put in about 10-12 catfish pellets which are the small round ones like 3-4mm gravel kinda size.
I have not carried out any water changes at all yet. You guys on here seem to prescribe them for everything but I like to do water changes for a known reason as opposed to just for the sake of it, i.e. to control Nitrate levels. As my Nitrates are not yet increasing I therefore see little reason to do any changes but it you can persuade me to change my mind then please go ahead.
I have also had a problem with a Danio over the last couple of days. Please take a look at my post under the unhealthy fish section for more info on that. I'm not sure if it could be related to my cycling or not as I've had little response.
I am right though that it seems odds that my Ammonia is hovering around 0.5-1ppm for so long and that nothing else is happening aren't I?
Thanks

OK so yesterday I finally saw a Nitrite reading of 0.25ppm and the Ammonia level is still around 1ppm. Today the Nitrite was up to 0.5ppm. I guess I'm going to have to keep a careful eye on this now and to water changes if they become necessary. With Ammonia at 1ppm the fish seem to have been fine for quite a while so I guess the free Ammonia level is OK. But I do not have a clue what level I should control the Nitrite to. Some advice on this would be very helpful. Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom