How long before I can relax about aggression?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Masha

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I've just introduced a honey gourami into a tank with 8 black widow tetra and 6 silvertip tetra. I was a bit nervous that they might attack him, as they have a reputation of being nippy.

So far, (about 20 minutes in) they completely ignore him, even when feeding.

How long before I can relax about this? He's such a sweet little chap, I hate to have him hurt.

I don't think they'll do him anything. I've seen lots of tetras leave Dwarf Gouramis alone, but every tank is different eh mate. Look i always read that its 1 pair of DGs for a 20g tank, yet I had 2 pairs, 2 males n 2 females, together and they got around just fine. The trick was to not have any floating plants so that they couldn't establish their territory. So yea just keep monitoring him

I don't think they'll do him anything. I've seen lots of tetras leave Dwarf Gouramis alone, but every tank is different eh mate. Look i always read that its 1 pair of DGs for a 20g tank, yet I had 2 pairs, 2 males n 2 females, together and they got around just fine. The trick was to not have any floating plants so that they couldn't establish their territory. So yea just keep monitoring him

That's a great tip. I bought 2 DGs and had a piece of bogwood with a plant tied to it and plungered to the glass on each side. They were always fighting. Saying that though. I took the bullied one back and the DG went after my sword tails and even neons!

Honey gouramis are way more peaceful.

What size tank is it?

Sorry - I did not see your question :) It's a 90 litre tank with an Aquaclear 70. Lots of living plants, lots of them floating, quite a few hiding places.

I have a single zebra danio - a mistake left over from a previous tank. He's being a bit nippy towards the Honey Gourami so I've moved him to another tank temporarily - not sure what I'll do with him.

The Gourami seems a bit stressed, he's swimming about a lot. I'm going to leave him in there for a bit longer to see if he settles down. I think he's freaked out from being chased by the zebra danio. None of the other fish seem interested in him.

I don't feel good about this yet but will keep a close eye on things.

That's a great tip. I bought 2 DGs and had a piece of bogwood with a plant tied to it and plungered to the glass on each side. They were always fighting. Saying that though. I took the bullied one back and the DG went after my sword tails and even neons!

Honey gouramis are way more peaceful.

Hahaha he wasn't playing at all!!!!

Your tetras should be preoccupied with chasing each other and leave the honey gourami alone. Good call on the danio. He needs to be with others of his own kind. Maybe you can rehome the danio to someone who already has a small school of them.

Back
Top Bottom