How long can my fish go without a heater

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

skargo2009

Aquarium Advice Activist
OK so the heater in my 30 gallon tank broke a few days ago. I've put in my spare heater but it's not big enough and it's only heating the water to 20c.

I've ordered a new heater online but I won't have it until the middle of next week. Will my fish be OK until then.

I have an angelfish, bristlenose plecos, a kribensis, kuhli loaches and flying foxes.

Hi. 20c is a bit on the low side for those fish. You may get away with it but as their metabolism will be decreased I should cut right back on the feeding. The filter bacteria might become a bit sluggish too so, again, watch out that there's no uneaten food and water test regularly. Don't be tempted to raise the temp with water changes as the constant changes will stress the fish. I would be tempted to keep the lighting period short, enough to allow them to eat if hungry, but that's just a gut feeling and not based on any real knowledge.
When your heater arrives set it to 20 c and raise the temp slowly over many hours, again to reduce stress.
Let us know how you get on.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

But some ice melt, calcium chloride, and put it in a water bottle with some water, shake and float. It heats up when it reacts with water.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom