How long do you QT new fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

skiweeangel

Aquarium Advice Addict
What would be a good length of time to QT new fish? Also I have two different 55 gal I am stocking and was wondering if I should QT the two different species going to two different tanks together? As long as the come out of QT healthy would it really matter? Just want some opinions on this topic. My QT tank is not ready to be set up. I am currently seeding the filter I plan on using for my QT tank in one of the two already up and running 55gals.

I used to QT for a month then I found out that a very nasty parasite that seems to be very prevalent has an 8-12 week cycle. After battling that parasite a few times now, I QT for 2 months or even longer.

DragonFish71 said:
I used to QT for a month then I found out that a very nasty parasite that seems to be very prevalent has an 8-12 week cycle. After battling that parasite a few times now, I QT for 2 months or even longer.

Wat was it????

I agree with @3-4wks if you trust your fish supplier & know them/their stock fairly well. If not, the longer the better. I do know some goldfish breeders that qt their fish a minimum of 4-6 mths.

Last edited:
Alrighty then...... I need to find a rather permanant home for this 30gal then. I'm stocking two 55gal tanks. this is going to take a while :popcorn:

Oh my gosh.... Yes! Please QT at LEAST two months! I knew exactly what Dragonfish was talking about when a horrible parasite was mentioned.... I've been battling the Camallanus worm for so long I've learned how to spell the darn thing! ;-)
But, seriously, all joking aside, I've lost two mollies to this worm in the last two months and have one more in QT still trying to recover. I learned about humane fish euthanasia, which I never wanted to learn about, and had to carry out. It was very discouraging to deal with something that had the potential to wipe out my entire stock (as well as newborn fry & unborn fry)... I came out fighting and have almost beat this thing. My only male in my group may not make it... As long as he continues fighting and is active and eating I will continue to fight for him.
It's made me very afraid to introduce any new fish to my clan and has definitely taught me not to get fish from Petsmart... (I love Petmart)...

RE: QT new fish

I am not sure of the exact amount of time but I always say 72 hours! If they have a disease or are going to get sick you usually see it within that time!

ocminpin said:
Oh my gosh.... Yes! Please QT at LEAST two months! I knew exactly what Dragonfish was talking about when a horrible parasite was mentioned.... I've been battling the Camallanus worm for so long I've learned how to spell the darn thing! ;-)
But, seriously, all joking aside, I've lost two mollies to this worm in the last two months and have one more in QT still trying to recover. I learned about humane fish euthanasia, which I never wanted to learn about, and had to carry out. It was very discouraging to deal with something that had the potential to wipe out my entire stock (as well as newborn fry & unborn fry)... I came out fighting and have almost beat this thing. My only male in my group may not make it... As long as he continues fighting and is active and eating I will continue to fight for him.
It's made me very afraid to introduce any new fish to my clan and has definitely taught me not to get fish from Petsmart... (I love Petmart)...

Its not just petsmart.

When I get to the time I want to add a fish I'm contemplating looking at a small owned store and checking it out.,. Going to various places and asking questions.,,
If I don't find a place to my satisfaction I'll order online... But again, still a risk...
I just know I don't want to go thru parasitic new fish again.,,

I know what you mean. I have been constantly check my water and have started adding new fish. I have found a LFS that does qt before allowing sales and it is a place with a great reputation. I hope all goes well because my inlaws broke me spare 30g and I'll have to figure something out for now.

Depends where I get them, if I ship them in or go to a new not so lfs 2 months or more, there are 2 stores I refer to as my $100 stores since I rarely get out of there without spending that kind of money most times those maybe qt'd a month but the one guy is always up front if they've just came off a serious of treatments so those I will qt longer.

The wonderful parasite being discussed delayed a shipment coming from a friend out of FL for a bit, then when I got them they were qt'd still though these particuliar fish were going into species only tanks so that part was easy.

Back
Top Bottom