How long to let water sit with dechlor?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bluerose

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I was doing a water change today and realized the bottle of NovAqua doesn't say how long it takes to treat the water.

I use half tap and half spring water if that makes a difference. I switch 10qts at a time (8 gallon tank).

Also- how awful is it if there's a temperature difference? My temp is already a little high. I watched them carefully after adding the water today and they are acting normally (probably happy to have a water change... water is much clearer now).

Dechlor works almost instantly, stir it around a few seconds and you're all set.

It's a good idea to match the temp as closely as possible, but 2-3 degrees isnt going to hurt.

I agree dechlor is instant and the temp just needs to close. Remember you are only changing some of the water so the net difference will be slight.

i use a the python and match my tap temp with my tank temp using an infrared thermometer, and i use prime just before i add the new water but i treat for the total volume of the tank even if i am adding only 30-50% of the water...

Maybe the other stuff in PRIME and other de-chlor agents is good but I tried something today.

This morning I filled a bucket with water and then tested it for Chlorine. Somewhere between a half part and one part per million (tap water). I then set it outside where it would get sunshine. Zero Chlorine when I got home today.

I will try the same thing tomorrow, but this time leave it inside the house. Because Chlorine does not have an affinity for water I'm guessing it will also have gassed off completely by the time I get home.

Maybe the other stuff in PRIME and other de-chlor agents is good but I tried something today.

This morning I filled a bucket with water and then tested it for Chlorine. Somewhere between a half part and one part per million (tap water). I then set it outside where it would get sunshine. Zero Chlorine when I got home today.

I will try the same thing tomorrow, but this time leave it inside the house. Because Chlorine does not have an affinity for water I'm guessing it will also have gassed off completely by the time I get home.

thats been a know fact, that chlorine will off gas

chloramine wont and many tap waters have this now, hence where prime comes in as well as the other bennefits.

Also if you choose to go that route you'll have to make sure that your water company doesn't switch to using chloramines without telling you. It can have disasterous results when it happens if you don't notice.

thats been a know fact, that chlorine will off gas

chloramine wont and many tap waters have this now, hence where prime comes in as well as the other bennefits.
I was just getting ready to post that. The very large water utility I work for is slowly going to Chloramines because it is a longer lasting disinfectant. Good for people, bad for fish. Not everywhere yet, but slowly moving in that direction.

And FWIW, I left a bucket indoors for a little less than 24 hours. No Chlorine.

dechlor is instant i would still stir it and lat it sit form a minute or two though. tempature should be close if not do smaller water changes.

Back
Top Bottom