How long to quarantine from a local breeder?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

enrgizerbunny

Aquarium Advice Addict
Simple question, how long would you quarantine fish from a local breeder if: You saw his tanks and all of them were healthy without signs of disease or even stress for matter.

I'm going to some angels tonight and I've seen the fish and his setup before. Everything looks great with healthy fish.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Are you getting them directly from local breeder or through the LFS? I like to do a quarantine no matter what. You can look at fish and they look fine, until they aren't. Up to you, but my advice is to go with the quarantine.

Are you getting them directly from local breeder or through the LFS? I like to do a quarantine no matter what. You can look at fish and they look fine, until they aren't. Up to you, but my advice is to go with the quarantine.

I purchased then directly from the breeder. I got some half dollar size angels. I asked how long, not whether or not to quarantine.

I asked how long, not whether or not to quarantine.

If you believe and know about QT then why would you QT anything for less time then usual?
If you want to short QT then I would add a fish from your DT to the QT to see how that works out(mini test).

If you believe and know about QT then why would you QT anything for less time then usual?
If you want to short QT then I would add a fish from your DT to the QT to see how that works out(mini test).

You qt because you don't know the history of the fish.

Also "usual" is a really broad answer on here, especially for someone who doesn't get fish often.

I guess what I'm asking is if you bought from someone who has raised the fish from birth and cared for them for 6 months before sale would it affect your qt time?

I breed and sell fish directly to a LFS.
They don't QT my fish.
You sound comfortable with the fish and if you are up on disease symptoms I would QT them for 2 weeks with a fish and water from your DT.
I also rarely add fish to my DT and all others are in the interest of breeding and never share a tank with anyone(permanent QT!).

Hi. Regardless of their known history I would still quarantine for 4 weeks. Initially to check for illness or disease but also to allow them to learn to feed on your preferred food and to fill out a little. You might not find this from a breeder but fish from my LFS are often a little on the thin side. I also gradually increase the amount of water in the QT from my DT, this way the transition is almost stress free. I am one of those people that enjoy their QT as much as the DT so I'm not in that much of a rush.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

I don't see the point of a short quarantine. If you're going to quarantine, do it the right way. Given that it took a full 7 weeks for one of my Rummys to display symptoms of columnaris last year, that's my minimum quarantine time.

If I buy directly from a breeder and trust the breeder's practices and tank hygiene, I don't bother with a quarantine.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

I breed and sell fish directly to a LFS.
They don't QT my fish.
You sound comfortable with the fish and if you are up on disease symptoms I would QT them for 2 weeks with a fish and water from your DT.
I also rarely add fish to my DT and all others are in the interest of breeding and never share a tank with anyone(permanent QT!).

I'm not understanding why are you taking a fish and water from a dt and adding it to your qt. That said three to four weeks is a good time

I'm doing that right now in my qt. I read that after initial quarantine period, you should add stressed fish from DT. If it survives with the new guys, then they're ready for DT.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I'm doing that right now in my qt. I read that after initial quarantine period, you should add stressed fish from DT. If it survives with the new guys, then they're ready for DT.

You should add a stressed fish??? I don't think you would normally have a stressed fish in your DT, and even if you did, adding it to the QT might cause all sorts of trouble, especially if the fish is stressed due to a health issue. That just doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me. Maybe you could explain in more detail what exactly that means.

I'm not understanding why are you taking a fish and water from a dt and adding it to your qt. That said three to four weeks is a good time
I do this IF I am using a QT for my display(all other tanks are breeders and permanent QTs).
This is the final test for the newb IMO.
The idea is water and fish from main tank to introduce anything that may be in your tank to the new fish .:cool:

Don't think for a second a healthy looking tank is, or that your tank is always good since you "have no problems".:confused:

Some fish are just waiting to be introduced/exposed to whatever before they become an issue.:hide:
Not a stressed fish IMO,that is kind of asking for it and would lead one to wonder why you are adding to a tank with stressed fish,unless elevating to proper population of the stressed fish(needs schools).
In this case(the sole surviving cardinal,neon,cory) would be a GREAT addition to the QT IMO!(y)

^^^NICE LINK^^^^!
They are a trusted source of info and fish/supplies.
I like how they stress the fish and yea that answers my ????'s
Thanks Bbush!

It just makes more sense to me if you are mixing some of your stock to see if there are any issues rather than keeping them completely separate & then throwing them together. I look @ it like possibly sacrificing one of my weaker fish from my DT vs. possibly infecting my whole DT with something I missed.

Back
Top Bottom