How many clown loaches - compatibility etc

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

swanandmokashi

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I had 6 tiger barbs and 1 albino rainbow shark in my 29 gallon , the one I am rebuilding now. I was thinking of putting the same ones in there. but I am seeing some snails in the tank while cycling. So I was thinking of adding clown loaches.

My question is how many loaches do I need to have ?Are they compatible with tiger barbs? I guess the shark is not an option since it would be too much for the bioload ??

I'd say 3 loaches woud be good enough. They usually recommend 3 to 4. They can get 3-4 inches in length. Get some, after you cure your snail problem, see if you can return them. It would just be like a small "convenience" fee since you'd only be losing a little bit of money over the time period that you had them - thats if you wanted something else later on down the road.

The bioload would be acceptable. They would have lots of swimming room as well. 9 fish in a 29 gallon where the loaches would be bottom dwellers and the barbs would be middle dwellers. I'd say by adding them you shouldn't see the nitrates go up much at all. Just keep up with your pw changes and you'll be fine. You should just have to feed the loaches minimal as they will be feasting on the snails.

actually, clown loaches can get to a foot or more in length after about 7 years if fed sparingly but i read that a guy got his to grow from 2 inches to a foot in 1 year. you'll eventually need to get a larger tank (i already do) so you'll be better off getting a smaller loach like a dwarf or kuhli

http://www.loaches.com/cloachfaq.html

check out the rest of the site for info about other smaller loaches

btw if you just want to get rid of the snails you can always put a piece of lettuce in the tank, leave it over night, remove the snails, and place the lettuce back in the water until all the snails are removed. my loaches grew about 1" in 4 months and they have no problem bumping other fish out of the way for food like little piggies but other than that they have good temperment.

Instead of clowns you can get yoyos or zebras. Both only get to about 4". You will also need to feed the loaches. If they were to feed on snails only they would clean up your tank in 1 to 2 days.Think of the snails as a treat for the loaches, not their main diet otherwise they will starve.

Back
Top Bottom