How many fish can i fit in?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

timxsi

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I used to have a 20 litre tank with 2 dwarf frogs, 6 neons and a pleco. I've now moved these to a 50 litre tank but minus 1 frog and 1 neon (r.i.p). Is it safe for me to have the following:

4 frogs
1 pleco
5 neons
2 platys?

I think i'm pushing it a bit....

If I am correct in assuming that this tank is a wee bit over 5 gallons, then I you could have maybe 2 platys and a frog, 5 neons and a frog, or 4 frogs.

I don't think the pleco is a good idea, unless it is temporary housing while it is a very young 2" fish.

I am sure this sounds boring and conservative to you, but that is truly a very small area for fish to live in (I have a tank that size with about 8 juvenile Endler's livebearers and a snail). If you had sucess with your previous stocking numbers then you could certainly repeat that.

50 litres is actually the equivalent to 13 gallons. the above fish have been living happily for the last year in a tank half this size (pleco, 2 frogs, 6 neons). The pleco has reached about 4". Think i might leave the 2 platys... frogs are cooler!

When I use the calculator on this site to convert litres to US gallons I get 5.2, but you are the best judge based on your own prior success stocking the tank.

Frogs are definitely cool!

Re: liters to gallon

seangelcyk said:
I think 50 liters = 11 gallons.

No, Timxsi is right. One gallon is 3.78 liters. So a 50 liter tank comes to be just over 13 gallons. Here is the exact math.

50 divided by 3.78=13.227513.

About your stocking question, check out my fw tank in my sig. I have had no problems with that stocking. And it has quite a lot.

Mr. R, how can you keep that much in a 10 gallon?!?! I've always wanted more fish, but I'm always affraid to get too many because evryone jumops down your throat as soon as you mention throwing more than 8" of fish in there!!! currently i have a figure 8 puffer, yellow chiclid, and a dwarf algae eater... is it possible to have more fish?

Back
Top Bottom