How many fish is to many ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishnovice92

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Currently have

5 gal tank will be upgrading to a 20+ gallon in a few months.

I have currently
2 blue guppies
1 Mickey fish
3 ghost shrimp
1 mystery snail

Looking to add some neon tetra 2 or 3

I know it's should be 1"fish per gal of water. But what if what effect would it have if I had an extra fish in the tank for about a month maybe 2 months at the most. Everything I have stays pretty small in size and just want to fill the tank with a little more color. Feedback is greatly appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Wait a few months. You'll want more than 2 or 3 tetra.

The only effect will be extra nitrogenous waste and more demand on the oxygen budget. Both are potentially lethal. (That's the quick answer)

Would having a bubbler help with the oxygen ?

I was think 3 at most because when I upgrade I'm going to get bigger fish

Your Tank

Hello fish...

A 20 gallon or so is still pretty small for anyone new to the water keeping hobby. A 30 would be better and isn't that much larger. A 55 gallon would be the best option. I'd save the small tanks for when you've had more time in the hobby.

If you plan to expand, then go with hardy fish that will stand errors in tank management. Platys, White Cloud Minnows and Danios are among the most tolerant. I'd suggest getting these.

B

The 1" per gallon rule is garbage. It dates back to the early days of fish keeping before filters were invented.

With a 20g tank, to fully stock it you could potentially have quite a few fish. Working with your current stock, I would say a school of 10 neon tetras, 1 male and 2 females of both the mickey mouse platys and guppies.

Check out www.aqadvisor.com to figure out your stocking levels.

As long as you have a decent filter, you won't have to worry about oxygenation and with weekly 50% water changes that should take care of the nitrates.

@bbradberry I have limited space and limited funds currently though I'd love the bigger tank I'm looking at getting a tank that's a minimum of 20 gal. All depends on costs and what is with it so at least I have something to start with and can get better filters and heaters, etc as I go.

@mebbid I will definitely check out the link and was looking for more information especially cuz all I had is small fish and I wanted more color in my tank

Appreciate the feedback you guys

Currently have

5 gal tank will be upgrading to a 20+ gallon in a few months.

I have currently
2 blue guppies
1 Mickey fish
3 ghost shrimp
1 mystery snail

Looking to add some neon tetra 2 or 3

I know it's should be 1"fish per gal of water. But what if what effect would it have if I had an extra fish in the tank for about a month maybe 2 months at the most. Everything I have stays pretty small in size and just want to fill the tank with a little more color. Feedback is greatly appreciated.

Wait till you get a larger tank. A 20Long will give you diff options than a 20 Tall.

More floor for Cories, for ex.

You are overstocked for a 5g now !

Keep checking your water and don't miss any water changes. Weekly or more often.

I agree 1"/Gal is outdated and misleading.

Long term a 5g is only suitable for
A. A single Betta only
Or
B. Shrimp only
Or
C. One group of tiny Nano fish that do NOT grow over an inch Only.

IMHO

YMMV

Smoke signals from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@coursair

Currently changing water weekly and all my levels are where they should be from what I have read.

My shrimp keep the tank pretty clean with help from the snail I haven't had to clean algae off the tank or vacuum the rocks since adding them to my tank.

Was planning to do the long tank vs the tall tank but it all depend on costs

@coursair

Currently changing water weekly and all my levels are where they should be from what I have read.

My shrimp keep the tank pretty clean with help from the snail I haven't had to clean algae off the tank or vacuum the rocks since adding them to my tank.

Was planning to do the long tank vs the tall tank but it all depend on costs

Keep an eye on Craigslist or see if you have a local club.

Smoke signals from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you have limited space, a 20 gallon is a nice enough size. I'd recommend the longer (30") size. And if you have enough vertical space, a 29 gallon is only 6" taller. (It has the same length and depth.)

Depends on room and filtration capacity. Planted tanks also affect this thing.

Aqadvice.com can give quick anwser for your question, but people here are better at giving advices ;)

Id wait. 5 gallon tanks are picky and often have issues with anything more than a betta as the only resident. I have a 5 and even adding 2 mystery snails substantially increased the bio load and mess in the tank. Those snails are now large and living in a big tank, and the betta is back to flying solo. You can wait, I know its hard, but its better for the fish in the long run. Adding too many can kill all you have right now.

Back
Top Bottom