How much can i feed my fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishless cycle

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a 180 litre tropical freshwater tank

My fish:
8 neon tetras
1 guppy
6 dwarf neon rainbow fish
6 harlequin rasbora

My tank seems under stocked but I like how the fish have lots of space. I may buy some more guppies to keep the one I have company.

At the moment I feed them every other day with frozen bloodworm at 7am (enough for about 2 each) and then at 1pm they have some granules (they eat about 3 grains each)). Then the other day they get either flakes or frozen brine shrimp instead of bloodworms.

I have had the fish for a week now and my Ammo and nitrate is zero and my nitrate is about 30-40. I did a fishless cycle up to 3ppm of ammonia before they went in.

Can I give them another feeding at night or is that too much already etc?

I think you're feeding schedule now is fine. Fish always act hungry and they'll eat whenever you feed them but this can lead to digestion issues and other things.

I think you're feeding schedule now is fine. Fish always act hungry and they'll eat whenever you feed them but this can lead to digestion issues and other things.

^^^^^^

+1 your fine. Fish acting hungry is a good sign there healthy. You don't want to over feed or it will issues mentioned above.

I feed my 75 gallon mixed African tank once a day.

^^^^^^

+1 your fine. Fish acting hungry is a good sign there healthy. You don't want to over feed or it will issues mentioned above.

I feed my 75 gallon mixed African tank once a day.

Thank you both... I'll continue what I'm doing then. They eat like crazy so it's tempting to feed them more but I don't want to over feed them. They all seem happy and zip about everywhere so I don't want that to change :)

Thanks again!

Feeding Your Fish

Hello Fishless...

To me, your fish load is fine for a 45 gallon tank. Aquarium fish are very small with even smaller stomachs. In their natural living areas, they're lucky to eat once a week. That's how nature does things and so, I follow that example and don't feed my fish very much. A couple of times a week and just what will be eaten in a few minutes, at most.

If you feed just a little, the fish are constantly foraging for bits of leftovers. Your tank stays cleaner, longer and your fish get plenty of exercise.

Just a couple of thoughts.

B

Hello Fishless...

To me, your fish load is fine for a 45 gallon tank. Aquarium fish are very small with even smaller stomachs. In their natural living areas, they're lucky to eat once a week. That's how nature does things and so, I follow that example and don't feed my fish very much. A couple of times a week and just what will be eaten in a few minutes, at most.

If you feed just a little, the fish are constantly foraging for bits of leftovers. Your tank stays cleaner, longer and your fish get plenty of exercise.

Just a couple of thoughts.

B

Oh really? The lfs said I should feed them in small amounts throughout the day as that's realistic of their natural environment. I'm not so inclined to believe what they say though! I think I will reduce feeding to once a day instead of twice and see how they get on. Anytime I go near the tank they all come up to me as if I'm going to feed them! They are so so sweet.

Thank you for your suggestions. :)

I feed twice a day. Just make what youd feed once into 2 meals. I have to agree with your lfs on this one.

Back
Top Bottom