How much to feed tiger barbs?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

micaiah12

Aquarium Advice Freak
So how much do you feed these guys. Whenever I feed them they are hungrier than heck!

I feed them once every two days.

is that not enough, or is that too much?

I feed my fish 2x day, every day. I feed enough so each fish gets a little and no food is left behind.

So how much do you feed these guys. Whenever I feed them they are hungrier than heck!

I feed them once every two days.

is that not enough, or is that too much?

Tigerbarbs are ravenous eaters... Whatever you put, they'll eat. They will always look hungry, despite how much you feed them. As juveniles you can feed them once a day. I feed mine on Mon, Wed, Fri in the evening so I'd say your schedule is fine.

Like mentioned above, tiger barbs eat anything. To be honest, i would feed them at least once a day. just don't put too much food in the tank. Feed them slow and make sure they get all of the food. It may feel like you should keep feeding them, but after they all get a decent amount stop.

It alway best to give active fish like tiger barbs a variety of foods. You can feed them flakes, dried shrimp, pellets, frozen bloodworms, brine shrimp (frozen or live)...

I try to feed all of my fish only every other day but it is soooo hard to skip feedings. I just love watching my fish eat!

I feed my tiger barbs once a day, and usually skip a day a week. I know it's so tough not to feed them! They go nuts for feeding time!! Every time I walk by the tank, they go crazy lol.

When I had mine they really enjoyed veggies and it took some time for them to eat them. Easy way to slow them down and enjoy watching them eat longer

When I had mine they really enjoyed veggies and it took some time for them to eat them. Easy way to slow them down and enjoy watching them eat longer

Cool, what did you feed them? carrots, cucumber...?

Mine loved frozen bloodworms but I would only suggest that as a treat every now and then too much protein can lead to bloat.

Cool, what did you feed them? carrots, cucumber...?

I do tetra-min crisps along with either Cucumber / zucchini, peas or algae wafer for veggies on Fridays, Mondays frozen bloodworms, Wednesdays frozen brine shrimp.

If you think TB's can eat, try Denison Barb, now those guys can :popcorn:. With the three in my tank and my TB's, it's a wonder my other fish don't starve!

I've got five of the denison (sp?) as well... I figured out I'd feed the tank same time at opposite ends.

I feed tiger barbs squash, lettuce, peas, and tuna ;)

I've got five of the denison (sp?) as well... I figured out I'd feed the tank same time at opposite ends.

I use that same trick. I do two pinch full of intact crisps for the TB's and Denisons. I then do a crushed up third pinch full for the smaller barbs and tetras. This on top of the bloodworms, brine shrimp or veggies. Doesn't matter much... Nothing is left after 1 minute.

Any scraps are property of the ghost shrimp.(y)

You guys just cut the veggies into big cubes and they nibble on them, or do you cut them up really fine?

DGabbs said:
You guys just cut the veggies into big cubes and they nibble on them, or do you cut them up really fine?

I used to throw big pieces in but after it sinks to the bottom they would just leave it alone. So, I started putting the vegetables in a food chopper to cut it up, they tear it up before they even realize what it is. Mine aren't big fans of vegetables so I have to trick them into eating them like children LOL

Back
Top Bottom