How often should I change my water?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gustavo64

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey! I'm planning on buying a 3 gal. (with filter) Betta Flo tank to replace my old 1 gal one, and I wanted to know how often I should change my water. I kinda wanna do 100% water changes because its easier than using a siphon to clean the gravel in my opinion... should I do that or what do you guys think?
-Gustavo

50% weekly water changes if the tank is cycled. If not, 50% water changes every 2-3 days.

Yeah, 1 betta for a 3 gal is the limit I believe, no more than that

Your Tank

Could I instead do 100% water changes every 2 weeks?

Hello Gus...

Water in a small cube with a filter and fish will lose oxygen and minerals in just a few days. This is why you need to remove and replace most of the water every week. This replaces oxygen, minerals and removes the pollution from the dissolved fish waste. The longer you put off changing the water, the poorer the environment for your fish. A 100 percent water change would leave nothing for the fish to swim in, so you'd have to remove the fish. This is stressful for you and the fish. So, the best thing for everyone, would be to change half the water every week. This way, the fish stays home and the routine guarantees continually good water for the fish, so it stays in good health.

B

Back
Top Bottom