How Often Should I Change the Floss/Filter Cartridge?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Twoapennything

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hey all,

I'm wondering how often I should change the floss/carbon/charcoal filter insert in my Marineland Eclipse 3 filtration system? It used to be that I didn't change it at all, after misunderstanding some info given on changing filters, but now it seems that the filter needs to be changed around once per month to keep the water optimally clear. Is this too frequently? I have tried rinsing out existing filters and de-gunking them and then re-using them, but that doesn't seem to help when the water has gotten cloudy. Is it normal to change a filter insert once per month or so? The package says every two weeks, but I figure of course they're going to say that because they want me to keep buying filters.

What do you all think? I have a 40 gallon Marineland Eclipse 3 tank with built in filtration: 1 angel fish, 2 gouramis, 2 dwarf gouramis, 3 silver dollars (that I will need to rehome once they get to be too big), a school of neon tetras, glow light tetras, and serpae tetras, a platy, a male betta and a female betta. My kid brought home a bunch of neon tetras from her school carnival, which is why we have so many tetras. :puppydogeyes: Water parameters are normal: 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, 10 nitrate.

Any replies would be helpful -- thanks in advance!

The only time they need changed is once they are falling apart. Just clean them every time you do a water change in tank water. Sounds like you had the right idea before

Thanks guys -- I will keep rinsing out the filters. Do I need to dechlorinate the filter (like with Prime) before I put it back into the tank, seeing as I rinse it out in the kitchen sink?

Don't wash the filter cartridges in chlorinated water. You're killing off your beneficial bacteria when you do that. When you do a PWC, rinse the cartridge in a bucket of old tank water. You can also dechlorinate tap water, then use that to clean your cartridge.

If you're just talking about cleaning the plastic filter housing, you don't have to worry. Just dump out all the water you can and hook the filter back up.

Don't wash the filter cartridges in chlorinated water. You're killing off your beneficial bacteria when you do that. When you do a PWC, rinse the cartridge in a bucket of old tank water. You can also dechlorinate tap water, then use that to clean your cartridge.

Thanks for that advice, Jim -- I will take it, definitely. In fact, I think I've caused a cycle to start in my tank due to my negligence with the filter :( This morning I had readings of .25 ammonia, 1.0 nitrItes, 10 nitrAtes, and 7.2 pH.

PWC ****, here I come . . .

Back
Top Bottom