How ofthen should i do a water change

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I use an off brand python. I simply use the 25' hose and run it out a door or window (unless it's cold, then it goes to the bathtub). I get plenty of suction that way. I've never used a battery powered, mainly because I don't use buckets

I'm not familiar with the marina powered vac so I really can't comment on that. I have 2 types of vacs. The manual version I have uses gravity. In my opinion, that type can be powerful. It all depends on the height of the tank and the water receptacle. The tank HAS to be higher in comparison to the bucket. My other vac is an Aqueon 50 ft vac that attaches to my faucet. I find that it works best when I allow run in the removal mode in the air then put it in the water.

so i imagine that has no problem with suction but i am using buckets cause my biggest tank that is stocked is a 33 gallon along with a 30 and two 10 gallons would it benefit me to get one? and how much $? but iam still looking for input on what i have currently as well

I think it depends on the application. My faucet adapter has almost kicked the bucket. I'm not going to replace it. I'm simply buying an adapter to go from the faucet threads to a garden hose thread, then the garden hose to 1/2" tubing adapter. If you do what I do and use a window (which saves a ton of water btw) rather than the faucet, you don't need the fancy little adapter that comes with those kits. And if you already have a gravel vac, you just need the tubing, which you can get real cheap at lowes or home depot (less than $10 for 25').

my vac is battery powered i dont think it would make it to my sink i like to use it for transfering water back into the aquarium but it SUCKS for picking up debris. i also have a manual vacume. so my question is with a buget in mind what vacuume has great suction for cleaning gravel?

i guess when you have enough good bacteria and you are strict on water being r-o,temp and have put stress zyme and conditioner, and the fish are use to you doing that much, and you get them use to it, and you have discus,that cost a fortune, i might never have my nitrates go to.05ppm, oh ya, hi mama, maybe we got off to a bad start earlier.we should talk...

300% twice a day. actually imo 50% a week should be fine, if there isnt a huge temp difference i dont see it stressing them all that much except for that few seconds when it is running in.

Um, you don't pull out a significant amount of the tank's bio filter during a water change, as most of the beneficial bacteria exist on surfaces within the filter media and other surfaces in the tank. I could do back to back 75% water changes and it would not harm the tank's bio filter.

I don't use RO for discus. It isn't necessary in most cases IMO.

Stress Zyme is a gimmick IMO. There is no need for anyone to spend the money on it or any other "bacteria boosters" when his/her tank is properly cycled.

I use a Python to drain and fill, and dose dechlorinator for the volume of the tank as it is filling up.

I've never had a use for a battery powered vac so cannot comment on its effectiveness.

i had a common gold fish die after i changed the filter, scraped the glass clean and did a gravel vac that took 1/2 the water out so i guess i just worry more, and do smaller changes everyday sometimes

doogle said:
i had a common gold fish die after i changed the filter, scraped the glass clean and did a gravel vac that took 1/2 the water out so i guess i just worry more, and do smaller changes everyday sometimes

You changed the filter, thats the problem. It had nothing to do with the water volume replaced.

Both severum mama and jenatron are right. Very little of your beneficial bacteria lives in the water column. Most of it is in the filter with some in the gravel and on the surface of decor.

I think the biggest determination of how much water you can remove at once is the type of fish you have. You don't want to leave a 4-6" tall fish in 3" of water (I know - pretty obvious). Also, I don't want to remove so much water that a large group of fish are crammed into the remaining water (even for a short period of time - but that's just me). I will do it if water conditions are so out of wack that large water changes are needed, but even then I would try and perform multiple changes back to back.

Both severum mama and jenatron are right. Very little of your beneficial bacteria lives in the water column. Most of it is in the filter with some in the gravel and on the surface of decor.

I think the biggest determination of how much water you can remove at once is the type of fish you have. You don't want to leave a 4-6" tall fish in 3" of water (I know - pretty obvious). Also, I don't want to remove so much water that a large group of fish are crammed into the remaining water (even for a short period of time - but that's just me). I will do it if water conditions are so out of wack that large water changes are needed, but even then I would try and perform multiple changes back to back.

When I've needed to do a large water change that's what I've went by..just making sure everyone in the tank has enough water to be comfortable during the change. I've never seen a mini cycle due to a large water change.

I think it depends on the application. My faucet adapter has almost kicked the bucket. I'm not going to replace it. I'm simply buying an adapter to go from the faucet threads to a garden hose thread, then the garden hose to 1/2" tubing adapter. If you do what I do and use a window (which saves a ton of water btw) rather than the faucet, you don't need the fancy little adapter that comes with those kits. And if you already have a gravel vac, you just need the tubing, which you can get real cheap at lowes or home depot (less than $10 for 25').

could you send me a picture of this set up even a cheesy drawing would help cause iam alway interested in saving water even tho we are on a well freshwater only makes up 3% of the water on our earth( something to keep in mind) iam interested even tho i just bought a marina vac that has the faucet adapter and its amazing i love it

Back
Top Bottom