How safe is tetra fungus guard considering cancer?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sininen

Aquarium Advice Newbie
On the back of the tetra fungus guard box it says WARNING: this product contains a chemical known to the state of California to cause cancer

Active ingredients: nitrofurazone, potassium dichromate

- Is it safe to breath in or should you wear a mask or something?
- Is it safe to touch the tablet or should you wear gloves?
- If water spills is it safe to touch?
- I know that I’m going to cut it with a knife to get the proper dosage, is this safe?
- Can my fish eat while the medicine is in the tank?

I’ve read that it’s safe to use as long as you use it properly but what exactly is properly?

- If your were to eat it would it cause cancer (reason being I know some people put it in their survival kits <- for humans)

Hi, welcome to AA.

Interesting question! As long as you use it as directed the risk is very low. It's like a little water is great to drink, a lot will drown you. As with all meds you could wear plastic gloves if you have sensitive skin.

The fish will still eat fine however meds can knock them off their feed.

If I remember correctly, chromate (or rather hexavalent chromium) mostly dangerous when inhaled, and most strongly associated with lung malignancies, which fortunately aren't a big problem for fish. It's dangerous were mostly recognized in industries where it might be inhaled, such as with welding, and even then it's more of an occupation hazard where it can be inhaled little at a time for years.

In short don't be stupid, do not insert directly into lungs/nose, and you should be fine.

Hexavalent chromium has been known to cause many kinds of cancer. Even when digested.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

also bear in mind that CA has some of the toughest environmental laws in the country and the way the state laws are written, if there is ANY amount of a carcinogenic or possibly carcinogenic substance in a product, California slaps that warning on the label.

Hexavalent chromium has been known to cause many kinds of cancer. Even when digested.

In Mice. In large doses. Over the course of years. The evidence of harm in humans is someone more controversial, at least compared to the evidence for lung malignancies, and even in those cases it has been suggested that it takes years of exposure.

In any event, you would be best off not eating it either.

Back
Top Bottom