How to feed new elephant nose fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
How's things going?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

He's doing good, hes eating now (quite the task in a community tank ), I would like to try to start hand-feeding him soon, but he wont come out of his house

Shelly do you happen to have any experience with hand-feeding your enose? Mine won't come out of his house.

Shelly do you happen to have any experience with hand-feeding your enose? Mine won't come out of his house.

Yep I've hand fed him since the day i brought him home. I started holding live bloodworm under the water near him and kept my hand still he just came up and took the food. I haven't had any issues with his feeding except for when he nips me which can be sore! I also bought feeding tweezers when he was young so I didn't have to get too close. Another thing I do is feed him glassworms from a net it stops them floating away he just sits inside it feeding, i did use a feeding cone but he would pull it off and swim away with it. Just be patient with him and let him get use to you he will settle. If you need any more advice just ask.

Another question, how often should I feed him a cube of bloodworms?

Another question, how often should I feed him a cube of bloodworms?

He'll need fed every night and when he's settled you'll need to also feed him in the morning before switching your lights on, i get up early every morning to feed mine he's always waiting when I come down.

It's been a couple months now, he still doesn't like to come out during the day at all. I put a ghost tube in his tank but he doesn't seem to like it, just lying down in the tiny pagoda. I have 3 green tiger barbs, some neon tetras and a molly in the tank as well

It's been a couple months now, he still doesn't like to come out during the day at all. I put a ghost tube in his tank but he doesn't seem to like it, just lying down in the tiny pagoda. I have 3 green tiger barbs, some neon tetras and a molly in the tank as well

Is he getting bullied? Do you have live plants? The tank is maybe too open for him. I also have frogbit floating in my tank. My guy's tank just has his huge pvc pipe and loads of plants which he loves swimming in and out of or resting in.

The other fish don't bother him, there are no live plants, but the tank is a bit open, maybe i'll look to fix that

That looks fine, i wouldn't waste your time with the tube i just bought a black pvc pipe from a home depot store and cut it to size for my guy.

do specific plants do something to the enose? He's suddenly stop eating and won't even leave his house at all. Also water will automatically go to room temp right? I have agood room temp for him but the water seems a little cold to the touch. Is that normal?

do specific plants do something to the enose? He's suddenly stop eating and won't even leave his house at all. Also water will automatically go to room temp right? I have agood room temp for him but the water seems a little cold to the touch. Is that normal?

Live plants won't do anything to him. Have you checked your parameters? These guy's are very sensitive.
Do you not have a heater in your tank? My temp on my tank is 26 any lower and he doesn't like it. Maybe that's his problem? What's the temperature in your tank?

Back
Top Bottom