How to introduce a new GBR to tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DeirdreHoyle

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have one male GBR right now (I had two originally but one got sick) and he has been solo for a while. I want to get another male to make a pair but I want to avoid fighting between the two.

Any special advice on introducing a new GBR to a tank with an older one?

25 gal
Stock:
1x GBR
1x Clown Pleco
6x neon tetra
6x harlequin rasbora
5x kuhli loaches

PH 6.8
Temp 79
Ammonia & nitrite 0
Nitrate 15 ppm

Sent from my SM-G900V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

My one experience with blue rams was not good but funny.
I put one in a tank with 2 angels and 4 Bolivian rams, it wasn't long before the blue ram took over the tank. He kept all the other fish hiding, this went on for a couple of weeks till I got rid of him and restored peace in the tank.
I'm not sure if they're all territorial that way but that was a lesson learned.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Yeah the one I have would fight the sick one any time he saw him, but the sick one hust died so now he is really solo. he's the only cichlid in the tank so it's easy for him to be an alpha male.

Maybe get him a girlfriend?? My pair of Rams, male and female are awesome to watch. The male will follow the female around everywhere. They are never more than about 10" apart and that's in a 55gallon.

That's a good idea! Idk why I never considered getting him a girlfriend. That would probably make him feel better after losing his friend.

Rams pair for life as well, which is pretty cool. Mine started spawning after having them only 3 weeks! That is really awesome to see.

That is awesome! I don't really have the means to deal with fry right now though....do you think it's bad to get a female if I have no intentions of breeding?

They will mostly likely end up eating the eggs anyways.. I usually hear of them being good parents until the fry are free swimming then they are eaten lol. I have a separate tank set up to try and grow the fry out in.

I think that two males in a tank that size are a bad idea. What most likely happened was that your survivor bullied the sick fish to death.

If you want two, get a female. If you don't want to deal with fry, just let nature take its course. If you have some other fish in the tank, the fry could become a nutritious snack.

Rams pair for life as well, which is pretty cool. Mine started spawning after having them only 3 weeks! That is really awesome to see.

Only in the wild, tank raised fish given space and extra females a male will mate with just about all of them. My male sapphire ram spawns with 3 females in the same tank.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I think that two males in a tank that size are a bad idea. What most likely happened was that your survivor bullied the sick fish to death.

If you want two, get a female. If you don't want to deal with fry, just let nature take its course. If you have some other fish in the tank, the fry could become a nutritious snack.

No, my fish was not bullied to death. My GBR got some strange illness that kept him on the substrate, not swimming, for an extended period of time, resistant to all medication, and I finally had to euthanize him. I can send you a link to that thread if you are interested because I asked for help on here because it was so strange.

I am going to get a female this time though

Only in the wild, tank raised fish given space and extra females a male will mate with just about all of them. My male sapphire ram spawns with 3 females in the same tank.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I did not know that... That awesome your male mated with all 3 ladies.... Hmmmmm.. I love my rams.. Maybe I'll get 2 more females lol

Yeah, definitely don't have two males in that size tank! They will almost surely fight, and one will eventually end up dead. They CAN be bossy, even though most sources I've read online say they aren't. I've had them chase other fish away from food quite aggressively.

Back
Top Bottom