How to make gold fish happy as possible...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Carys18

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello,
So I recently upgraded my tank to a 120litre after doing some research and realising the one I had was no longer suitable for them. They are incredibly thankful for this change, it was much needed.

I'm basically aiming to improve their living conditions within this sized tank as much as possible (please don't tell me to get a bigger one).

I've learned so many amazing tips from this site including:
- Goldfish need a decent size tank
- Posters can be put on with babyoil
- Moss can be grown on rocks if tied down
- Rocks can be used in tank if prepared correctly

So I'm looking for some more which could improve things further.

The fish are goldfish (I don't know which type I assume common). They're over 10 years old now. I've only recently started checking all their water stats. Which is why my bubblers are positioned either side of the tank in an attempt to create a current to oxygenate the tank as the nitrates or nirates (the one which is CO3) are too high. I've also used some treatment for this problem because apparently it's common in new tanks. I did allow the tank weeks for cycling.
Once the water conditions are right, I'm considering getting two snails. I like the idea of them serving some kind of purpose with the algae eating but it's mostly because I'd like the goldfish to have some company and selfishly I love snails. I've looked into it and would like to get two horned nitrate snails (which I've put a picture up of). I'd like them because they won't have endless babies in a freshwater tank and the fish probably won't eat them due to the spikes, also they are adorable. They're a nightmare to find near me (Wales U.K) so I've had to request an order so it will be next month before they're in-.-. I have seen these snails online but I'm not sure about putting them through the postal system it feels selfish and I don't want an animal to suffer because of me. But also they will still have to be transported to a pet store, are they better looked after in that method?

I'd be happy to get any other creature or install new plants etc if it would make the goldfish happy. I've done everything read about so far aside from getting a co2 diffuser. Just because I still need to read into whether that's applicable to my tanks requirements.

Overall,
Any top tips are amazing, and have already been listened too whilst reading through other posts.

I've included pictures of my tank, the lettuce leaf will be taken out in the morning because I learned it's a certain type of lettuce they like and needs to be boiled first. They ate the peas ravenously.

Thank you in advance:)

Attachments

• IMG_6772.jpg
    IMG_6772.jpg
    205.2 KB · Views: 110
  • IMG_6774.jpg
    IMG_6774.jpg
    188.6 KB · Views: 82
  • IMG_6780.jpg
    IMG_6780.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 89
Maybe someone on here has personal insight into keeping a large fantail goldfish and I'm not 100% sure what the second one is but I'm guessing common goldfish by the body shape in a roughly 32 gallon tank. IMO, and I know you don't want to hear this, you absolutely need a larger tank. Can you pull this off? Yes. Will your goldfish reach their potential size, health, happiness, and lifespan? Chances are, no. I've read goldfish can adapt to small tank sizes. I've read they are stunted by small tanks and live about half their potential life span. Personally, I wouldn't put a couple of fish that probably require a 100g tank to be happy and maintain good water quality in a 120 liter no matter how much I liked them. For the record, I do not put my American Bulldog in a 6x6 foot cage all day either. Although your tank seems nice and you say your nitrates are high. What is your tested water readings. Ammonia, nitrite and nitrates?

If your fish MUST live in an under sized tank I would invest in a gravel vac. Then I would do 40-50% water changes every other day. Sounds like a lot of work and time....and it is. Your nitrates are high because your goldfish are heavy waste producers in a small tank. I'd guess your ammonia is probably present fairly quickly in your tank as well.

What is your filtration? You should be running at least a 90 gallon filter if not more.

Thank you for your reply.
Regarding the tank size I understand your opinion, but I did put research into getting the tank size I chose, my opinion differs and I won't be getting a larger tank until further growth.
I also do not keep my British bulldog in a 6x6 cage and that's a lovely reference to animal abuse made there.

My readings are for ammonia, nitrates, nitrites and PH.
I do have a suction cleaner, and have been doing 50% water changes every other day, and the CO3 has lowered in response but still there which is why I've introduced the chemicals too.
I've yet to have an increased ammonia but yeah I can imagine it would increase quite quickly with my goldies.
My filter was sold with tank so is appropriate size, I believe the filter goes upto 150litre so should fine.
I regularly clean the sponges using fish water.
Aside from increasing the tank size (which I understand) any suggestions on how to make them happier?

Hello Carys...

I keep several Comets and Common Goldfish with them. I can tell you that these fish are social and like other Goldfish in their tank. Larger tanks are preferable, but you can keep younger, smaller fish in a smaller tank short term. Plants are important for fish in general. I have Anubias on the bottom and float Anacharis and Hornwort too. Plants will make any aquarium fish feel more comfortable. Floating plants are a good supplement to a Goldfish's diet.

Most important are large, weekly water changes. I remove and replace at least half the water weekly.

B

Regarding the tank size I understand your opinion, but I did put research into getting the tank size I chose, my opinion differs and I won't be getting a larger tank until further growth.
I also do not keep my British bulldog in a 6x6 cage and that's a lovely reference to animal abuse made there.

I do have a suction cleaner, and have been doing 50% water changes every other day, and the CO3 has lowered in response but still there which is why I've introduced the chemicals too.
I've yet to have an increased ammonia but yeah I can imagine it would increase quite quickly with my goldies.
My filter was sold with tank so is appropriate size, I believe the filter goes upto 150litre so should fine.
Aside from increasing the tank size (which I understand) any suggestions on how to make them happier?
I would agree with king fisher, I would get a bigger tank. However, if you want to go about that comment with a slight about animal abuse, let me explain something. Fish are no less animals than a dog or a cat. They still feel pain and can be hurt by their environment. For you to agree you wouldn't keep a pitbull in a 6x6 cage because it's animal abuse, then why would you put goldfish in an undersized tank until they grow? Because by that logic you should be able to keep a pitbull in a 6x6 cage until he grows then right? No, because you would say it's abuse. You need to understand here that fish are no less animals or pets then your dog might be. I hope that you can upgrade to a bigger tank at some point to let these fish have a better life and make maintenance easier for you

You mean NO3 which is nitrates. What are your levels of ammonia, nitrite, and nitrates after two days and before your water change?

The standard 150 liter filter sold to you doesn't take into consideration what you are keeping in your tank. That is why I said you should be running 3x the filtration. This will help with water quality. So in your case you should be running anywhere from 90 to 110 gallon filtration (Sorry I'm American and im used to gallons). Or if you are worried about increased flow from a larger filter then hang two 50 gallon filters on the back of the tank. At least a 50 and a 40 gallon which would also work. This will decrease the turbulence of the water a bit. The two filters will also agitate more of the surface water which will create more oxygen rather than trying to duplicate this with air stones. Although you could use both.

As far as adding anything to your tank to make them happier besides water quality or size id say you have a nice tank as it is.

I really seem to be making people mad recently so I think in your case I am gonna do the same thing. (Why is it always goldfish) Yes it is possible to keep a gold fish in an smaller tank like yours until they grow out. That fantail in there and in great need of a much larger tank he huge from the pictures I see. It they are well feed and their growth shows they are That comet is going to take off in growth and fast! A properly cared for goldfish will attain full size in as little as 3 years.
Your information about the size of the tank was correct.... For 1 goldfish the figure is 2-3 gallons per inch of adult fish. They will grow faster and live longer in a proper environment. Which is a pond. You have 2 so that means you need 4-6 gallons per inch of adult fish. in a tank so now you are in the range of 40-60 gallons. They also need at least 24 square inches of surface space per inch of fish or 400 square inches of surface space. So while you can keep them in a smaller environment. If you are really looking at the over all happiness of the fish I guess the better question is really should you?

I really seem to be making people mad recently so I think in your case I am gonna do the same thing. (Why is it always goldfish) Yes it is possible to keep a gold fish in an smaller tank like yours until they grow out. That fantail in there and in great need of a much larger tank he huge from the pictures I see. It they are well feed and their growth shows they are That comet is going to take off in growth and fast! A properly cared for goldfish will attain full size in as little as 3 years.
Your information about the size of the tank was correct.... For 1 goldfish the figure is 2-3 gallons per inch of adult fish. They will grow faster and live longer in a proper environment. Which is a pond. You have 2 so that means you need 4-6 gallons per inch of adult fish. in a tank so now you are in the range of 40-60 gallons. They also need at least 24 square inches of surface space per inch of fish or 400 square inches of surface space. So while you can keep them in a smaller environment. If you are really looking at the over all happiness of the fish I guess the better question is really should you?
Lol. Goldfish are a hot topic lately. I've been following your replies.

Hello,

So I recently upgraded my tank to a 120litre after doing some research and realising the one I had was no longer suitable for them. They are incredibly thankful for this change, it was much needed.

I'm basically aiming to improve their living conditions within this sized tank as much as possible (please don't tell me to get a bigger one).

I've learned so many amazing tips from this site including:

- Goldfish need a decent size tank

- Posters can be put on with babyoil

- Moss can be grown on rocks if tied down

- Rocks can be used in tank if prepared correctly

So I'm looking for some more which could improve things further.

The fish are goldfish (I don't know which type I assume common). They're over 10 years old now. I've only recently started checking all their water stats. Which is why my bubblers are positioned either side of the tank in an attempt to create a current to oxygenate the tank as the nitrates or nirates (the one which is CO3) are too high. I've also used some treatment for this problem because apparently it's common in new tanks. I did allow the tank weeks for cycling.

Once the water conditions are right, I'm considering getting two snails. I like the idea of them serving some kind of purpose with the algae eating but it's mostly because I'd like the goldfish to have some company and selfishly I love snails. I've looked into it and would like to get two horned nitrate snails (which I've put a picture up of). I'd like them because they won't have endless babies in a freshwater tank and the fish probably won't eat them due to the spikes, also they are adorable. They're a nightmare to find near me (Wales U.K) so I've had to request an order so it will be next month before they're in-.-. I have seen these snails online but I'm not sure about putting them through the postal system it feels selfish and I don't want an animal to suffer because of me. But also they will still have to be transported to a pet store, are they better looked after in that method?

I'd be happy to get any other creature or install new plants etc if it would make the goldfish happy. I've done everything read about so far aside from getting a co2 diffuser. Just because I still need to read into whether that's applicable to my tanks requirements.

Overall,

Any top tips are amazing, and have already been listened too whilst reading through other posts.

I've included pictures of my tank, the lettuce leaf will be taken out in the morning because I learned it's a certain type of lettuce they like and needs to be boiled first. They ate the peas ravenously.

Thank you in advance:)

Nice ideas on greens. They look healthy and I’ve always thought plant matter helps.

A CO2 diffuser is only helpful in plant growth. I found goldfish eat the plants anyway so imo wouldn’t bother. Maybe java fern or something else pretty tough. If plants do survive then CO2 will help but plenty of these shallow tanks do fine without it and java fern would be a low light (no CO2 option).

The CO2 injection does lower ph (only when on) and ime causes pitting of snail shells. So snails and CO2 injection I found don’t go together.

Snails are handy cleanup but do produce an incredible amount of waste. Something to bear in mind. Snails can be posted - depends on packing, etc - the best packing won’t work if the snails sit in a hot letter box. If a store can get them, much better idea as they would be better set up and have the shipping experience to know what works.

Unfortunately those two look ready to go into a pond now. Been in the exact boat but had ponds to put them into and growth rates just take off. Simply the present tank is too small, I’m sorry - there is nothing much that can be done. HOB filters will give a bit more room in tank rather than internal filters and add a little more volume. There is no great answer - tank volume is always king.

10 years. It’s a long time since I kept goldfish and it seems smaller specimens are now possible, especially on fancy goldfish. Mine were gong into ponds after a year or so.

The bubblers will oxygenate tank but water changes are needed to remove the waste nitrates. Do you have ph, ammonia, nitrite, nitrate readings? Also worth checking water reports - some tap water is high in nitrates.

Back
Top Bottom