Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-03-2006, 02:38 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

How to ship a fish??

Anyone ever done it?

What are the steps that ensure success?

90g SW FOWLR
50g tall fw planted at .6wpg
29g fw planted at 1.2 wpg
10g fw planted at 3 wpg cf
SCFatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 03:41 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to jasno999 Send a message via MSN to jasno999
Steps??? Well I am nto expert and I have not shipped a fish ever. But I think common sense is the best way to go about it.

You defintly need to double or tripple bage the fish. You need haf the bag filled with watr and the other half with air. Get as much air in as you can. Then you need to seal the first bag real good with rubber bands. Slide it into the next bag upside down. Seal that bag and then use a 3rd bag ove the top of those 2 bags and seal it.

I would then say you need a carbord box that the bags will fit into along with some type of packign material. Somehting soft liek the styrofoam peanuts would work. Jsut make sure the bage is cushioned on every side and not touching the cardbord box.

Then you need to sent the shipment overnight for the best chance at survival of the fish.

Againg you have to use common sense here. If you are shipping a tropical fish it is best to make sure that the weather you are shipping from, to and thru is warm enought so that the fish will not die from the cold. If you can help cold weather then you will need to add a heat pack to the box to keep the water warm. If the weatehr is too hot then you have the problem of the box overheatign and boilign the fish so yous good common sense.

Goldfish might be eaiser to ship in terms of temperature cause they can deal with some cooler temperatures and survive. However they definitly need to go overnight cause they will foul their water quickley.

Hope that helps

Old 05-03-2006, 04:38 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

Send a message via MSN to igongora
I guess shipping a fish would be same as if you were to move the aquarium, so I hope this helps

http://www.aquariumfish.net/informat..._fish.htm#top2
Old 05-03-2006, 10:59 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via ICQ to Lonewolfblue Send a message via Yahoo to Lonewolfblue
Another thing I think is to not feed the fish 1 or 2 days before shipping. That way they don't foul the water as fast. And definitely overnight the package.
Old 05-03-2006, 11:56 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Kordon breather bags are good for shipping fish, no air space, so no splashing around inside the bag. They are also useful if you aren't bagging the fish with pure O2, since the entire box is usable air for the fish. (They let O2 in through the bag walls, and CO2 out)

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com