I Believe I'm Cycled

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

The HTR

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Well after a 30% partial water change on July 4, which gave the following readings:

Ammonia: 0.0
Nitrite: 1.0
Nitrate: 5.0

Note that nitrates come at 5.0 in the tap water.

I didn't touch the aquarium except to feed the fish until just an hour ago today on July 7 and got the following readings:

Ammonia: 0.0
Nitrite: 0.0
Nitrate: 10.0

So, as I read on this forum, once your ammonia and nitrites reach zero and your nitrates begin to rise, you are cycled. I siphoned the solid waste from the gravel that had develop over the last 3 days but that was it for the water change following the test.

So...is it true? :confused: Have I finally done it?

You were cycling with fish? If that's the case, it does appear that you have completed your cycle. Keep an eye out for another week or so to make sure, but it looks good.

Looks good!

Just wait a week or so if you can to make sure everything is staying like that before adding more fish(forgot what you have)

Yes, I've been cycling with fish - two cichlids, both around 2-3 inches, a small pleco, and two mystery snails.

What should I do from here in terms of water changes?

I probably wouldn't add anymore fish at this point unless something really caught my eye because its a 20g but I would like to include some more mystery snails to complement the two that are already there.

As long as everything stays acceptable, you watch your nitrate to see when you "need" a water change. Normally when it gets to 20-40ppm then its time to change water. Now people normally just get in a habit of changing 10% weekly.

I'd say taht 10-20% weekly waterchange is fairly typical. You can change less if understocked, more if overstocked. Basically you just need to change enough to keep the Nitrates and DOCs in check and refresh the minerals etc in the water.

Back
Top Bottom