I couldnt clean my gravel "in time"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fish24907

Aquarium Advice Regular
So today was the first time for me using my gravel vacuum aka siphon while I was doing a water change. But before I could fclean all of my gravel (which was dirty with brown dirt which i guess is brown algae and diatoms I guess), I had already taken out around 10 gallons out of my 20 gallon tank...which is my goal here as I do 50% water changes.

So, basically im asking for tips for vacuuming gravel. I have a top fin siphon and it isnt too bad. I just can't clean enough gravel with it fast enough.

IMO you can clean as much as you can at each pwc and you'll be fine. If your gravel is really dirty, then just bump up the pwc's for a bit. It's ok if you can't get it all at one time.

While I've not usually had that problem- regardless of tank size, I usually can clean the entire substrate in a 10% change- if you have too, you can refill the tank and then finish the job.

I can think of a possible reason for getting to 50% before getting all the gravel vacuumed:

Siphon hose too large in diameter- drawing a large volume of water - too fast for your tank size.

What I did because I had the same issue! (accidentally over flowed my bucket a couple times because i was paying attention to getting all the extra food off the bottom) Was bought an electric vaccume. (bought it at petsmart) They are a bit expensive but it works WONDERS! You can spend as long as you like cleaning food n nastie out of your tank because it never takes out any water! Just sucks up what needs to be sucked up! I HIGHLY RECOMMEND IT!

Note! I'd insist on first using the electric siphon/sucker thing. Electric siphons clean well, but they also stir the gravel around making the water cloudy with particles poop/algae/food etc etc.. that's so fine it wont take it out. So you'll want to take out whats left floating around with the normal siphon, and your tank will be much cleaner! Try not to take out too much bacteria out of the bottom of your tank, & your filters at the same time. Healthy bacteria drops may effect your fish and possibly make the fish become ill or catch ick. But at the same time so will a dirty tank! Lol!

Here's the link of the one I bought! If the link doesn't work, go to petsmart.com its called a EHEIM quick vac pro! it's under aquarium maintainance.
EHEIM Quick Vac Pro - Fish - Sale - PetSmart

Hope this helps!

Unless an undergravel filter is being used (either air or powerhead run), then vacuume till your heart is content. That's not where the real bio-filter is.

Cool. Some good suggestions in this thread, I'll definitely try them out.

Also, what exactly is this brown stuff/dirt that develops on my gravel and decor (and a few little blobs developed on the glass of my tank)? Brown algae?

Probably brown algae. I've heard it is common in new tanks. One of my tanks that has only been established since August has it, and I just scrape it off the glass. It slowly grows back, but I don't mind because my mollies love it. From what I understand it will clear up eventually.

Fish24907 said:
Cool. Some good suggestions in this thread, I'll definitely try them out.

Also, what exactly is this brown stuff/dirt that develops on my gravel and decor (and a few little blobs developed on the glass of my tank)? Brown algae?

Could be "mulm"- accumulated biological waste/sludge

Ive never vacuumed my tanks, but I have bottom feeding fish in them all. Should I still be vacuuming the substrate?

ccross said:
Ive never vacuumed my tanks, but I have bottom feeding fish in them all. Should I still be vacuuming the substrate?

Yep. Some "bottom feeders" can actually be hurt if you don't- corydoras in particular, and loaches too.

Batt4Christ said:
Yep. Some "bottom feeders" can actually be hurt if you don't- corydoras in particular, and loaches too.

Guess ill be adding a vacuum to my list for tax time :)

Back
Top Bottom