I.D Shark

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Precious_Scarface

Aquarium Advice Activist
Alright i got this I.D Shark hes about 1" to an 1"1/2 and hes always hiding sometimes i can see him and hes not movin arent they suppose to be moving at all times ?? Hes layin on the ground in a crack and only comes out to eat then hides again he had ick but i treated it and now he seems alright i see no white dots on him no more hes in a 55 gallon with a couple goldfishes and a pleco and bristle nose

Aren't ID sharks tropical? Therefore not compatible with goldfish. Also, he may be little now, but they get HUGE- waayyyy too big for a 55 gallon.

They get about a foot and a half long to about 2 feet in aquariums and about 3 to 4 feet in the wild so a single id in a 55 gal is good enough for quite a long time and what do you mean by compatible ??

Precious_Scarface said:
They get about a foot and a half long to about 2 feet in aquariums and about 3 to 4 feet in the wild so a single id in a 55 gal is good enough for quite a long time and what do you mean by compatible ??

Actually, I highly doubt that. PM vanimal, he has an ID shark I'm pretty sure. He can probably tell you more about them.

Yes they do prefer colder water but warmer waters dont bother them always had mine in warmer waters had them for 3 years now and they are as healthy as they can be and like when i pet them ..they also all know the fetch trick lol and they love food i sometimes give them live guppy's that i breed myself .. I also give them some veggies and sometimes fruits and they love it

Actually, I highly doubt that. PM vanimal, he has an ID shark I'm pretty sure. He can probably tell you more about them.

Please can you tell him to pm me or post please im just scared he might be covering something he was fine and all for the firstmonth has been gettin bigger and all but likei said hes been actin weird lately

I can't say I know much about ID sharks, but like many other freshwater "sharks" it's just a type of catfish. Most catfish are ambush predators and spend a good deal of time "hiding". However I wouldn't put it past the choice of tank mates it has to be contributing to its behavior,

I have a small ID Shark and yes I understand they get huge I can't wait for it but til then mine is small n in a 55 tall.... Mine too is hiding and only comes out to eat, he has never been sick I had him for a few months now he's just chilling in the cave of my castle swimming slowly back and forth. He use to be all over the tank he has other mates but they never bothered him please
Help

From what I have been reading people say they come out at night when the lights are off unfortunately I work over nights so when I come
Home there's very very little daylight hitting the tank n I don't see him
He has also been a little skittish which I know they tend to be so when I walk in he ducks away until I drop frozen blood worms in ( two or three times a week I feed that to my fish)

Ok well I think I spooked him I had to reach in and replant a small plant that came up.. A d when I moved a piece of decor he was under to get the plant down in there good he dashed around sat in a corner fast breaths and slowly went back into the cave n now laying inside. Hm I hope some one knows...

Mine has always been a mover too. Got him at an inch as well. hes about 18 months old and had to move him to the 125. I use a blue light (actinic) to watch my nocturnal fish. Only to watch and feed the tank then I turn them off, I rarely leave the light on more than hour, maybe 2 as algae will become a problem. Not sure if theyre colorblind or not but they all seem to come out after a few minutes of it being on.

Mine use to swim during the day with the light on.. But the past few days he's hiding now.. Maybe ill check on him in an hour or so.. The light only has been off for 30mins

Thanks for a reply :) any help or ideas is appreciated

Ok so I kept my tank light off for 2 days now 1 main reason is cause I read it may help kill some of the alage with water changes but anyway not to get off topic.. I see the shark swimming out of the castle I'm thinking maybe he likes it at night cause the angel and the bala shark n like 10 mollies (ballon) aren't taking up his area and that lets him roam in his usual middle ground area?.. Either way he's out lol ... Good night it's time for me to passnout

Back
Top Bottom