I got a 50' python for christmas!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Peyton

Aquarium Advice FINatic
:lol: I've been giving some blatant hints lately to my wife. Usually while making one of many trips to and from the kitchen sink while carrying my two one gallon containers. I asked her if I was getting one and she said she did not get me one :( . Well my best friend came over last night and we exchanged gifts and sure enough he got me one. He was thoughtful enough to order me the 50' one because a 25' would not have worked.

It's hooked up to the sink as I'm typing this but I'm waiting till the lights come on in the tanks before I start. It's the first time I've ever been excited to perform a water change :lol: .

You are WAITING for the lights to come on? Heck, the first time we got one we didn't get home till almost midnight. I unplugged the timers, plugged in the lights, and did a water change. :) It is the most convenient piece of aquarium equiptment that you will ever own.

I just bought one this week too. I was a little disappointed to find that the piece that fits on to the faucet is the exact thing I already had. It seems that I got the old one from a water bead fill kit. Am I dating myself by telling you that I used to have a water bed? :oops:

It is really nice to do water changes and not get the whole place wet! It almost makes you want to do more changes.

Wheee! Now, your wife shoulda just got it for you. She probly thought it was weird and didn't think it was a good gift, but sometimes we have to make that leap to thrill our loved ones. Thus the WWII belt buckle I got Husband this year. Blech.

I echo the "best piece of aqua-ipment you will ever have" sentiments above.

Merry Christmas!!

I got a 25" one + 20" extension. Love it. To save water, you can turn the tap water off after the water is running if your tank position is higher than the sink.

I love mine - I also turn the water off once I get the syphon going . I change out 30gal of water and I would have alot of buckets to fill so just the space it saved was worth it . I had the piece from a waterbed also.

My favorite part is that I don't have to haul buckets anymore. And when refilling I don't rearrange the decor with the force of the water.

Well I used it today. It wouldn't drain my 20gal, but it is only 4" or so off the floor. I drained it my usual way, one mason jar full at a time. Which is a bit of a pain because it has countless guppies that seem to have a game of swimming into the cup as it's filling. Of course I used it to fill it back though. I used it on my other tanks to. By far the most usefull piece of equipment I have now.

The only problem I had was that at 50', by the time I shut the water off on the siphon end and run to shut the water off at the sink the pressure had built up so much it was spraying everywhere through the connections. Also I'll need to be more carefull to test the water temp often because somehow when I was filling the 20gal I filled it with only cold water.

I put a dish towel over the faucet connector when using the Python so it keeps water from spraying. You may want to give that a try. It works GREAT for me.

Tip on draining the lower tank with the python:

close the valve and fill that portion of the hose and syphon with water. Unhook the python and put the end outside a door. Open the drain and off you go. When you are done draining, just lift the end outside higher than the tank, and hook back up to the faucet.

i love my python. It is by far the best investment I have ever made for this hobby. I actually do water changes about twice a week now on most of my tanks.

I'm getting $150 worth of fish for christmas :D YAY!! And the best part is, i get to choose all the fish!

I don't have the spraying problem.

One suggestion, when draining water, I put a breeding net under the faucet to catch all the 'waste' things from the tank, and a large bowl under the breeding net to keep some water in the breeding net. In this way, some fry sucked into the Python from a community tank will be saved in the breeding net and I will move them to a breeding tank. This is also the way to save fry from a big tank, otherwise you have to pick them in the tank and it is difficult.

MyCatsDrool said:
Tip on draining the lower tank with the python:

close the valve and fill that portion of the hose and syphon with water. Unhook the python and put the end outside a door. Open the drain and off you go. When you are done draining, just lift the end outside higher than the tank, and hook back up to the faucet.

Thats a good idea. I'll try that next time.

I also just got a python (not for Christmas) and it's been a pleasure. I should have gotten one a long time ago. I have a 110 so I really needed it. Yay! *No more buckets makes squeeky a very happpy gal! *:D

Peyton said:
Well I used it today. It wouldn't drain my 20gal, but it is only 4" or so off the floor. I drained it my usual way, one mason jar full at a time. Which is a bit of a pain because it has countless guppies that seem to have a game of swimming into the cup as it's filling. Of course I used it to fill it back though.

That is unusual. My tanks are in the basement and the sink I use is on the first floor, so the sink is 6 feet or more higher than the tank and I have no problem draining them. Might depend on your water pressure.

I cover the sink with an old kitchen towel to avoid spray as well.

How do you use a python with water that has chloramines? Can you without hurting your livestock. I am starting a 75gal Cichlid tank and would love to use a python for PWC's.

Unfortunately, no such luck for the SW tank.

I also got a Python today! I agree, I dunno what I wouldve done without it. Today I did a water change and it was by far the quickest i've ever done. Took 10 minutes tops.

Sometimes I wonder if my brain actually WORKS ! I never thought of covering the faucet with a towel - I just viewed the mess created by the water spraying as the price of not having to haul buckets ! LOL. Such a simple and wonderful solution to the spray issue - thanks for posting that !

Back
Top Bottom