I need help quick!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TenaciousTriggerFish

Aquarium Advice FINatic
This is a 20 gallon rectangle tank (nothing special)
One 3 inch rainbow fish
2 small Cory cats
1 small pleco
One small red eye tetra
1kikuli loach
1 small unidentified catfish
2 black skirt tetras I keep the tank about 77. Degrees..... It got over grown with algae and I let it get to far had to remove the fish and do a 70% water change got it looking really nice... That was a week ago and now there is algae starting to cover the rocks and ornaments AGAIN!!!!! I'm really upset and this tank is in my livingroom and my mom is not to happy with it's looks right about now..... :( please help me I don't know what to do!!! The four cat fish I had in the tank should be cleaning it!!! I don't know if I need a chemical or what....

P.S I can't post pics sorry

It sounds like it might be blue green algae. Look it up on google for pics so you can confirm if it is actually that. blue green algae is caused by poor maintenance and often by over feeding bloodworms. It also is not algae it is a bacteria. sorry cant remeber the name. look it up for more info. How long do you keep your light on.

As for your stock it is fairly poor IMO a 20 gallon is too small for rainbows and they should be kept in schools of six or more. As for the red eye tetra it also needs to be in a school of six or more same with the black skirts and the cory cats all schools of six plus.

as for the cats that should be cleaning the tank IMO/E they are not the greatest algae eaters what type of pleco do you have they are great algae eaters but if it is a common pleco it needs a tank of 100 gallons plus.

this may sound overwelming but we are here to help.

TenaciousTriggerFish said:
This is a 20 gallon rectangle tank (nothing special)
One 3 inch rainbow fish
2 small Cory cats
1 small pleco
One small red eye tetra
1kikuli loach
1 small unidentified catfish
2 black skirt tetras I keep the tank about 77. Degrees..... It got over grown with algae and I let it get to far had to remove the fish and do a 70% water change got it looking really nice... That was a week ago and now there is algae starting to cover the rocks and ornaments AGAIN!!!!! I'm really upset and this tank is in my livingroom and my mom is not to happy with it's looks right about now..... :( please help me I don't know what to do!!! The four cat fish I had in the tank should be cleaning it!!! I don't know if I need a chemical or what....

P.S I can't post pics sorry

What type of algae?
http://www.aquaticscape.com/articles/algae.htm

I have to point out how wrong your stock list is. Rainbows, cories, red eyes, black skirts and kuhlis are all schooling fish and need schools of their own kind of 6 or more. The rainbow and probably the pleco need larger tanks.

Mumma.of.two said:
What type of algae?
http://www.aquaticscape.com/articles/algae.htm

I have to point out how wrong your stock list is. Rainbows, cories, red eyes, black skirts and kuhlis are all schooling fish and need schools of their own kind of 6 or more. The rainbow and probably the pleco need larger tanks.

Blue green slime and smear algea and I know they both get big but the pleco is only 3 1/2 inches I know to move it when its bigger and the rainbow was originally in a thirty but the temp of it dripped and some stuff went wrong and him and the kikuhli loach were sluggish so I put them in my twenty gallon the lived and I've tried movie them into the thirty gallon twice both time they started floating at the top and acting sluggish so I would just net them and put em back in my twenty not floating them in a bag or anything and they were fine 0.o I know wierd but I don't have another choice but what do you think about the algae??

calfishguy said:
did you look at pics of blue green and at mummaoftwo's link.

Yeah that's how I figured it out also it's like on one of the ornaments it's like a super green sheet going over this mini bush looking thing.... Almost like I see all the points of it but it's blanketed in algae :(

Back
Top Bottom