I need snails!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Raimeiken

Aquarium Advice Activist
If you have an infested tank of snails and you don't like them, i'll buy them from you. I'll pay first and then you send them to me.

Try setting up a snail tank as well. I just started with an ice cream container, some water sprite, a little rainbow gravel and some rams horn snails. Doesn't take too long before they start to breed. I just feed them veggies (celery and lettuce are favorites).

I assume you are looking for food for your fish.

Yeah i'm gonna use them to feed my loaches. anyway, i have this 10 gal pond outside and i have about 10 small pond snails out there and 2 golden snails. I heard that they don't reproduce during the winter because its cold, so i was thinking of putting them in a container and bring them in the house for a warmer environment. I don't need to put a filter in it right? just some water and drop them in there.

I have snails I keep in a vase and I tell you, you'd be really surprised to see how much those tiny things poop. They're superpoopers! I want to get a tank with filtration for mine so I can stop filtering out the gunk with pantyhose and picking the tiny snails out of the gunk when I change the water :p

No need for filtration. I don't have it in my snail tank and they reproduce. I like adding some cheap plants though as they do help keep the water cleaner. Do a 50% water change every week (not hard in a smaller tank/container).

Holly, I've noticed the same thing with the snails I have in a gallon bowl. It's disgusting. I am very interested in your technique in filtering out the gunk with pantyhose. How do you do this?

:lol: I know what you mean, i just took out the substrate i have in my 10 gal pond because i couldn't see any of the small snails, it took me like an hour to get them all out of there before taking the substrate out. now it's bare bottom and the pond is full of crap.

BTW where do they lay thier eggs? above the water line or below? is in on plants or rocks? and i have like 10 feeder guppies in there, will they eat the eggs?

Catalina, love your name :]

My method is very barbaric. Every week I place a square or pantyhose over the mouth of my snail vase and slowly tilt it to release all of the water. The snails that are not left clinging to the glass are washed into the net (pantyhose). I pluck them out of the gunk that washed out and place them back in the vase. You don't have to worry about snails out of water like you do fish. They're fine for a few minutes and will not suffer w/o water. Then I add a bit of water conditioner to the water I fill the vase back up with. I used to use tank water to fill the vase but the snails are such dirty buggers that I use fresh conditioned tap water now. They're quite hardy and haven't suffered. This surely isn't the best method, but it's what I've come up with and is sufficient.

As for where the snails lay eggs, mine have all laid them right near or in between the water level. As in half the little gel sack is below water and half above. If the water evaporates and the sack is completely above water then it will dehydrate and won't spawn, so keep the water level up.

It depends on the snails.

Some lay above water, some below. Personally, mine laid above the water and the tank evaporation kept them moist and I had a 97% hatch ratio.

Thanks, Holly! :D My name's actually Caitlin, but I like to use the Spanish version for usernames online and stuff. I don't think your panty hose technique is barbaric, it's ingenious! I have been wondering how I could get all the water out without picking through and trying to remove every single little snail, and that never even occured to me. I think I'm going to do it tonight, granted I can find some ripped panty hose I don't want anymore.

Raimeiken, I acquired my snails by going to my LFS and asking if I could have some of the little snails that coated the fake plants in one of their tanks. They were more than happy to give them to me, removing the plants and shaking them into a bag. Voila, free snails! I'm sure any LFS would be just as eager to get rid of its snails.

Nevermind guys, i just saw a great deal on ebay. 25 red ramshorn snails for only $6 +shipping. I've always wanted these guys :D hopefully i win this auction

Buy my snails

If you want snails so bad, PLEASE buy mine. Although you can probably get them just about anywhere, Id be more than happy to sell you mine!

I don't think you'll want to use the snails from outside. Who knows what they've picked up and will introduce into your tank (some flukes are transmittable to humans too). I don't know how long you'd have to QT them to be rid of anything like that (if it's possible?).

I keep mine in a bucket w/a little gravel, a piece of driftwood and some plants I've left floating. They lay their eggs on the plants. I feed them zuchini, algae wafers, and drop in flake for any ghost shrimp in there. It doesn't have any filtration, and I don't do water changes all that often - sometimes I just top off.

Good call Brent! :wink:

dhs9831 if you want to get rid of snails, try putting in a piece of lettuce and pulling it out when the snails are on it. You may need to do this numerous times, but it will help keep the snail population controlable. BTW~
[center:4adcb09141] :smilecolros: Welcome to AA, dhs9831!! :n00b: [/center:4adcb09141]

Back
Top Bottom