I need some advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rob28

Aquarium Advice Freak
I went out and bought a fluval 405 filter and hooked it up to my established 55gal tank. I left the hob filter on the tank also for four days. L ast night i pulled the hob off the 55 gal and put it on my 10gal. today, when i did a water perameters test on the 55 gal, my nitrats were at 10ppm. everything els was normal. Im afraid that i may have pulled the hob filter to quickly and my tank is now in another cycle. i did an 80% water change, refilled, and did a 20%. all my perameters are normal now but i just wanted to double check with you guys to see what you think the problem is. im still treating the tank for ich so the temp is at 86 degrees, and Ive been adding 5 tablespoons of salt to the tank after 50% water changes to promote good gill health.
do you think my tank is cycling due to pulling the hob filter before the canister could establish itself?
if so, should i just monitor the water and do water changes accordingly?
thanks in advance

Do you have any ammonia or nitrIte? If not no cycle. NitrAtes are a good sign. Keep an eye on the parameters and you will be fine. I always run filters side by side for 2 weeks.

Do you have any ammonia or nitrIte? If not no cycle. NitrAtes are a good sign. Keep an eye on the parameters and you will be fine. I always run filters side by side for 2 weeks.

no , just alot of nitrates.
i thought too much nitrates are bad. I am super dilligent bout doin water changes so keeping it in order wont be a problem then.

i was planning on runnin the filters together longer but i got really impatiant.:n00b:

You're right, the lower the better, but unlike Ammonia & NitrITE, NitrAtes are okay up until around 40ppm. Any higher and your fish will not be the happiest of chappys.

Your params will be fine after such a large PWC. Keep an eye on your levels and manage any spikes accordingly with PWCs.

Yeah, like they said, 10ppm nitrates isn't a big deal (I assume this is FW tank since it's in the FW forum). Up to 40ppm is generally considered safe, and I've read research that up to 100pm is probably ok. Lower is better, this is true, but I wouldn't be anywhere near worried with just 10ppm.

thanks all for the replies.....youve been a real help!!

Back
Top Bottom