I need some help stocking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aquarium Freak

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a 40g tank that currently has 1 (3.5inch roughly) Angel, 1 Bolivian Ram, and 1 Cory in it. I wanted to get some more fish so all the fish in it would be:
2 Angels
2 Bolivian Rams
3 Cories
2 Platys
maybe a male Betta?
would this be overstocked?
If not what else could I add?
Thanks

The betta nad angels probably wouldn't get along. Other than that, I don't think I see any problems. Maybe get a few more cories, though, bump it up to 5 or so.

I agree that the bettas should be omitted from the list. Not good companions with any fish that has flowing finnage.

You are in no way overstocked and adding a bottom feeder as suggested (or perhaps a dwarf pleco...like a bristlenose) would complete the tank. I like the idea of a nice cory school.

Aquarium Freak said:
I have a 40g tank that currently has 1 (3.5inch roughly) Angel, 1 Bolivian Ram, and 1 Cory in it. I wanted to get some more fish so all the fish in it would be:
2 Angels
2 Bolivian Rams
3 Cories
2 Platys
maybe a male Betta?
would this be overstocked?
If not what else could I add?
Thanks

Lots more cories.. i would go with like 8 of them if i were you, but tehn again, i love cories, you could even do 5 of one kind and 5 of another.
I think you should definitely get another ram, but i think you should leave the platies out, im not a big fan of livebeares mixing with egg layers.. its not a problem, just not a personal preference of mine.
I had a Betta fish in with some angels for a week or so and i just don't think my betta was happy. he always stayed in one little corner. Now that hes in his own 1gallon tank, hes always active and swimming and flaring(if i put a mirror up to the tank)
I would also suggest you get some sort of algae eaters, Pleco, oto's something, just makes it easier on the algae maintenance, although plecos poop a lot
your list should work just fine, except for adding the angel, i know they can be kind of bullies and territorial so you have to make sure when you add one its the same size. And then maybe it would work... it also depends on how long the angel has been in there by himself.

sorry i wrote so much, just like to give my opinion.. Good luck. have fun

i would suggest getting 2 blue rams with the bolivians if they get along. i am not sure if they do but they would really add to the beauty of the tank. i just a got a few myself lol

mr.funktastic I love them but I don't have the money to spend $20 a fish on. They are VERY expensive here.

Another thing for some reason I hate to keep fish single the fish I have now are driving me crazy. I just like to have pairs of fish for some reason.
But anyways would my angel be happy all by himself I feel sorry for him he had a 2 freind angels but they died :cry: .

What does everyone think of this for a plan for my 40g:
1 Angel
2 Bolivian Rams
8 Black Neon Tetras
5 or 6 Corys
2 Dwarf Powder Blue Gouramis(not 2 males so they don't fight)
I thought this would be good. Also I read that Black Neons will be fine with the angel is this true, the angel is to small to eat one?
Also if this isn't oveerstocked what else could go in with them?
Thanks everyone for the help again :D

But JC, don't the black neons grow larger than regular neons? I thought that might work out ok. Just look for the biggest ones you can find.

You may have problems with angels and gouramis- some people do, some people don't. I would also leave out the betta, which it sounds like you already plan to do. The corys will be a great choice, I'm sure your lonely cory will really appreciate friends. The Bolivian rams should be fine, but make sure you have places for them to claim as territories. Mine can be quite territorial, but it is mostly just chasing and never results in any real damage. :roll: Do you know what sex yours is? It would be nice to find one of the opposite sex, but I can't for the life of me tell them apart so I can't help you there. :p I would not add blue rams to this tank. There will be enough activity at the bottom of the tank with the Bolivians and corys, and anyway I'm not sure how Bolivians and blues would get along. If you go with the angels, corys, Bolivians, and tetras your tank will be beautiful and you will not be overstocked. :D

i think that would just about bring you to a full stock. It sounds like it would be beatufil.. you could still TRY another angel.. just keep an eye on it, and if you have any aggression problems, you could always take the angel back, you just couldn't get full price back.

Also, the only thing i would add to that list is a pleco.. unless you don't like plecos.

Back
Top Bottom