i think my bacteria died

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

krap101

Aquarium Advice Addict
okay my mom made me take my tank downstairs so i took it down and all this stuff.. this took like 2-3 hours now my ammonia is at like 4.0 and i fed the usual. i think my bacteria died

oh yeah and i did a substrate change

the bacteria has been outside for about 24 hours now without food but plent of oxygen...

is the bacteria dead or can i put it in like a bag and put it back in the tank...

edit: okay i put the sand back in the tank in a lil wendys salad bowl... i hope it hasnt died yet

well given that much of the bacteria in a tank lives in the substrate, you probably lost most of it. substrate changes are not easy to pull off and still keep the water healthy.

at some point, you really need to think about what you want to do, research it, and ask questions before taking action. there are a lot of right and wrong ways to do things, and you seem to usually find the wrong ways :(

okay still i got lucky the bacteria's still slive... i put it in the tank in a wendys bowl as you know and about an hour later i do like a 25% water change 0 ammonia 0 nitrates and like 40 nitrates and before 4.0 ammonia 0 nitrites and 0 nitrates praise the Lord!

you would not get 40ppm of nitrates in an hour from 4ppm of ammonia. check the test kit, something is wrong in there...

oh i was guessing i didnt take a good look at the sheet i was so excited...

sry i exaggerated by alot

its really 7 nitrates 8P

but still 0 ammonia so thats good

Well honestly, people here really do try to help you and other out a lot, so when you provide numbers, it is nice if they are accurate. Not to mention people search through older posts, so a few numbers being off can cause someone to make a similar mistake in the future. Glad to hear your fish are OK :)

I'm thinking it was just the water conditioner he used.

It makes my Ammonia test give false readings for up to 24hours after waterchange.

i never used a chem for like 3 days if that matters err i guess that could change it but yeah my conditioners never really changed the stuff that much until i really needed it at this time (awhile ago) and used a lil over the regular amount because my ammonia spiked or something

Back
Top Bottom