I Want Black Sand! Best Brand?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

The_Desacrator

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So I got an empty 60g in my room waiting to be set up. I would like to try sand this go around and I want black. This will be planted, most likely moderately to heavily. stock will be a pleco, a bunch of denison barbs, and maybe an invertebrate of some kind. I was my local petsmart had a sand by national geographic but didnt hear that it was so great. What brand should I go after? there is a somewhat local non petsmart/petco in the area so if its something specific they prolly have it.

Thanks. :)

If you want planted tank substrate i would go with eco complete. Its really popular, looks good, and is good for plants.

Okay thanks alot!

Two more questions:

How many pounds of sand do I need for a 60g?

How do I clean it so it's ready to actually be put in the tank

Sent from my SM-G386T1 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I believe Ecco complete is already cleaned but not 100%. For 60 gallons you probably want 50-75 lbs.

Flourite black sand does the trick if you're after a finer substrate, the medium grain not the fine. The fine makes a mess and is best for a sub layer.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Flourite black sand does the trick if you're after a finer substrate, the medium grain not the fine. The fine makes a mess and is best for a sub layer.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app
I am just seeing the sand and regular flourite grain sizes. Would you happen to have a link?

I've got caribsea black sand looks really well has abit of a shine to it as well ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1448523371.784464.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I have Tahitian black moon sand. It's really cool and sparkly and settles fast.

I have Tahitian moon sand in a few tanks, including the heavily planted jungle. I found it easy to work with but it definitely has a sparkle rather than being a flat black.

img_3311221_0_7e51814355d916f6a60c7cd9ef4eeb47.jpg

I have the large bag of National Geographic black sand, so far I've only used enough to do a thin layer in a 2.5g. It has a nice consistent color but was odd to rinse, lots of little sand bubbles. There's a thread about it here.

Yes, however, it is more like gravel than sand. It is course and will trap waste. You can use a gravel vac on it. Great for growing plants. The black version is really a mixture of primarily black, with random gray, brown, tan, and red granules. If you are looking for a nice, consistently black substrate, go with black sand.
CaribSea used to make a fine grain black version of EcoComplete, however, it appears to have been discontinued.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I don't know if you have a tractor supply around you but the sell Black Diamond blasting sand. 50#s for $8 get the medium grit it works great.

Sent from my SCH-I545

Back
Top Bottom