I want explode!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rickyg78

Aquarium Advice Regular
I was at Walmart and a couple bought a bowl and put a tiger Oscar in it.;(

I have had to steer very clear of the fish area when I go into Walmart. I tend to open my mouth about stuff like that......loudly :)
But like Convict said, its unfortunate we cant save them all. That Oscar will be dead before too long, which is probably better for him than being stuck in a tank at Walmart. :-(

What's worse is that the people at walmart don't even care what happens to the fish. Much less tell people what fish they shouldn't buy

I have had to steer very clear of the fish area when I go into Walmart. I tend to open my mouth about stuff like that......loudly :)
But like Convict said, its unfortunate we cant save them all. That Oscar will be dead before too long, which is probably better for him than being stuck in a tank at Walmart. :-(
Honestly, I give him a few hour fate at most.
:(

The people bought a pleco and a Oscar in a gallon bowl. That's like us stating In a porta potty all day. I hope that they suffer like the Oscar will

The people bought a pleco and a Oscar in a gallon bowl. That's like us stating In a porta potty all day. I hope that they suffer like the Oscar will
That's offensive to their part from you. Don't be mean to people like that because they are just ignorant. It's parents/Adults who don't know. It's just like asking you to conduct a submarine without killing everyone in it(terrible example). I had two goldfish(commets) in a 1 gallon(maybe even smaller). Yes i was ignorant, like most people, but we learn from our mistakes, and that's what I would love people to understand. Maybe telling these people can change their way of viewing this hobby that's so underrated and under estimated by so many people.

I was at Walmart last night looking at the fish. The worker that offered to help me got an ear full. I told him I wanted to complain about Walmart selling dyed fish. He had no idea that the mixed fruit fish where dyed. I explained to him how they do that and he said he was told that they were genetically engineered. I proceeded to show him what fish where genetically modified and what ones were not. His comment was it is sad what we do to poor fish. I hope I enlightened him. I told him I would not buy a fish from a place that sells dyed fish and to please register my complaint with his manager. Doubt it will do any good. But I tried.

The people were adults early couple. They didn't learn from their mistake. They said they owned a Oscar that got huge in a 10 gallon. They didn't learn from previous times.

What's really sad is that even if the employee working in the fish section does know better, in most cases they are not allowed to refuse a sale and it is likely that if they tried to convince people to make better purchases, the customer could make a complaint and they could lose their job. A couple years ago when I was searching for a job I contemplated applying for a job with Walmart since they did have an opening in the pet department, but knowing how dispensable they feel their employees are (my ex was working there at the time, and I had heard horror stories of how easily they fired people) I knew if I got it I wouldn't last long at all. I would open my mouth and get myself fired.

The people were adults early couple. They didn't learn from their mistake. They said they owned a Oscar that got huge in a 10 gallon. They didn't learn from previous times.
For most, huge can be as much as 5''(litteraly). I showed a 22'' ckf I had to my uncle and couzins, they flipped. They never though you could have something bigger then 6''. You just need to introduce this information.

I just wish stores would have stricter regulations towards selling fish but they don't care about anything but money

I just wish stores would have stricter regulations towards selling fish but they don't care about anything but money
You know, I doubt they will, if ever change they're regulations. These are investors, and they would do the same in human industries if it were legal. They would stuff you with cheap and bad foods(Worst then McDonalds) if it were legal. It's so sad to see all these animals being wrongly treated for the pleasure of other people.

What's worse is that the people at walmart don't even care what happens to the fish. Much less tell people what fish they shouldn't buy

Its more likely that they dont know that there is a problem. Two days later the same untrained Walmart employee will be helping a customer pick a toaster on the other side of the store.
Its not their fault... nobody told them there was something to know about fish.

Just be glad they dont sell puppies and kittens.... or do they? I havent been inside a Walmart in close to a decade.

I wish stores wouldn't sell bowls and vases for fish! That gives people the idea that a pint of unfiltered water is an acceptable home, and that anything bigger than 10g is pure extravagance.

I kept bettas once- my LFS told me that their natural habitat is puddles, so they don't like being in a large body of water. I followed his advice, and thinking I was doing the right thing by them, put them in bowls. I never could keep them alive more than a few months :-(

People also look at tanks crammed with colourful fish at the shop, and think they can recreate that at home.

Its all true. No one cares wether the fish are kept in a proper home or not. All that matters is the money. I know life runs on money but I wish life of fish was taken more serious

Its more likely that they dont know that there is a problem. Two days later the same untrained Walmart employee will be helping a customer pick a toaster on the other side of the store.
Its not their fault... nobody told them there was something to know about fish.

Just be glad they dont sell puppies and kittens.... or do they? I havent been inside a Walmart in close to a decade.

True. Although I dont really think the owner of the store would care either way... In most cases anyway...

I wish stores wouldn't sell bowls and vases for fish! That gives people the idea that a pint of unfiltered water is an acceptable home, and that anything bigger than 10g is pure extravagance.

I kept bettas once- my LFS told me that their natural habitat is puddles, so they don't like being in a large body of water. I followed his advice, and thinking I was doing the right thing by them, put them in bowls. I never could keep them alive more than a few months :-(

People also look at tanks crammed with colourful fish at the shop, and think they can recreate that at home.

The people at the pet store near my house said the same thing to me. Really? A fish living in a puddle... Wow. I mean anyone with any common sense should be able to think, "what would happen to a fish in a puddle? What about when the puddle evaporated? How would it even GET there?" :p

Back
Top Bottom