ID-ing a rainbowfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JohnPaul

Aquarium Advice Addict
Was at a lfs yesterday and in a tank with several species of rainbowfish, I saw a new species I haven't seen before and didn't recognize. The bottom 80% or 90% of its body was a rather bright red; the very top of its body was a yellowish/tan color, perhaps with a black stripe (that part I forget). The color change was not gradual (i.e. not that the red gradually faded into the yellow/tan) but extremely sharp.

I've seen pictures (both in a fish book I have, and online) of the "Red Rainbowfish" (Glossolepis incisus) and I'm 99.99% sure it's not a match; those are *all* red and the ones I saw clearly were not.

I know that's not alot for anyone to make a positive ID (unless there's a rainbowfish expert lurking out there), but if anyone knows of a website that has pics of rainbowfish species, that would be great.

P.S. -- The owner of the lfs wasn't in (it was a Saturday) and the one lone employee there didn't have a clue, other than being able to say it was some sort of rainbowfish--which I knew already from its shape and size.

go to thatfishstore.com (I think thats the name) they have many pictures of rainbow fishes.

However since rainbow fish will cross with each other in captivity & this is sort of common at fish farms its possible that what you saw was a hybrid of two or more different species. I have been looking at lots of rainbow fish online because I'm thinking of getting some. That color pattern doesn't ring a bell but if I find something like that in my searches I will let you know.

There must be a rainbow fish expert out there who knows it all by heart though.

Back
Top Bottom