ID this Please!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My guess is some type of fungus or mold. Usually not toxic and likely will go away when the water chemistry levels out and the BB has fully developed. I've had similar growth on driftwood before. It went away on its own. You can always scape most of it off, but it's likely to grow back until it's nutrient supply is cut off by the growing BB.

My guess is some type of fungus or mold. Usually not toxic and likely will go away when the water chemistry levels out and the BB has fully developed. I've had similar growth on driftwood before. It went away on its own. You can always scape most of it off, but it's likely to grow back until it's nutrient supply is cut off by the growing BB.

Thanks V. I thought about scraping it off but if it will grow back I won't. I'll keep an eye on it, hopefully it won't get out of hand.

It could just be the sugars from the wood releasing like how bio slime is generated .
I would not worry about it ,but might still give it a shot of H2O2...

Hate to oppose the master coralbandit ::cowering with hidden face:: but that looks suspiciously like BBA it looks entirely different from the biofilm my wood grew

Hate to oppose the master coralbandit ::cowering with hidden face:: but that looks suspiciously like BBA it looks entirely different from the biofilm my wood grew

BBA?? what is that and how do I get rid of it?

Black beard algae. A dark, persistent nuisance. Can be treated short term with hydrogen peroxide; long term better water quality.
Honestly, looks more like new driftwood fungus as mentioned previously.

It looks like BBA . I was thinking the wood is new and maybe a fungus like leak from the woods sugars ?.
Either way H202 won't hurt the tank.
BBA ; Black Beard Algae...H2O2 and Glut....

It is a new piece of wood. Less 4 months old. I had in water for about 2 month letting it release tannins and soak up water so it wouldn’t float. So H2o2 won’t her the fish either? How do you add to a 300 Gallon plus system? Or do I spot treat with a syringe?

I have given up trying to win the BBA battle in hubby's 125g tank (my 6 tanks are enough to try & manage) & try to be content just keeping it under some kind of control
20180111_194933.jpg

I have given up trying to win the BBA battle in hubby's 125g tank (my 6 tanks are enough to try & manage) & try to be content just keeping it under some kind of control
View attachment 306190
I like using H2O2 and Glut in combo...It works for me.
I think many run into trouble with these products because they shut their filters off?
This is a great link and all you need to read is first post [so good it is updated]...
http://r.search.aol.com/_ylt=AwrJ7J...ent.html/RK=0/RS=8QgsnaiPAs2oVXURswGXEDPM6Zk-
I just whipped BBA in my 29..I think ?:hide:

I would probably be further ahead in this battle if I could convince him that
1) the lights did NOT have to be on 14 hours ad day for the to have a proper day/night cycle
2)they were NOT going to die of starvation if the water was not a tornado of flakes when they were fed every night
3)just because they ate it BBA was NOT ok

Back
Top Bottom