Idea for fish cave

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sanfranman

Aquarium Advice Apprentice

so I have a 55 gallon community tank with an eventual goal of 40 fish. For me, you can never have enough hiding spots. It is well decorated with decor and plants so space is limited. And then I had in idea: I am going to use a half inch PVC pipe "elbow" and attach java moss to it. I'm sure it will look awesome when the moss grows. And I predict the fish will love it also because of the "bend" it has. Has anyone else tried this and how has it worked?

I use PVC in all of my tanks. Are we talking 40 neon tetras? lol

too many? Nothing bigger than a Platy but I thought basic rule of thumb was 1 fish per gallon. But I obviously will not have 55 fish. Right now I have 20 with guppies, cherry barbs, dalmatian mollies, and neon tetras. I would still love to get some leopard danios,platys, cardinal tetras, and a few coreys. I do have dual filter action.

I think that is for sure way too many fish, way too many.

It's 1" of fish (the adult size) per gallon and it should be used very very loosely..

5 guppies
6 cherry barbs
4 neon tetras
4 gold neons
2 dalmation mollies

was hoping to add:
4 platies
4 leopard danios
3 cardinal tetras
3 silvertip tetras
3 julii coreys.
now that would be one fun tank.

Ya you would need a much bigger tank I'm afraid. Go to AqAdvisor.com and put all that in and see what it tell you.

Calypso77 said:
Ya you would need a much bigger tank I'm afraid. Go to AqAdvisor.com and put all that in and see what it tell you.

I'd hate to see what AqAdvisor has to say about my 55g Mixed African tank. Although I don't recommend overstocking to often until it comes to Cichlids just saying overstocking results in a VERY demanding water change regimen. I change water every 3 days if not every 2. The more fish + more waste = excessive nitrates. You want a fun tank? Look into African Cichlids, these guys are like little dogs lol. They beg for food, play & fight :D you already have the minimum tank size required for them and its common to overstock.

To many different types of fish can make a tank very unnatural looking, I would up the number of your existing fish as some of them do better in higher numbers and add 5 Julii Corys. Personally I don't think that would over stock your tank as they are smallish fish, I just think it would look very messy - stocking would also depend on how well filtered you are.

Last edited:
I agree with Borderlesscott, the tank would just be a mess of fish. Less fish in larger numbers of same species looks much nicer than a hodge podge. Silvertip tetras tend to be bad nipper so I'd skip them and also the danios.

Sanfranman said:
5 guppies
6 cherry barbs
4 neon tetras
4 gold neons
2 dalmation mollies

was hoping to add:
4 platies
4 leopard danios
3 cardinal tetras
3 silvertip tetras
3 julii coreys.
now that would be one fun tank.

40 fish in a tank that size would be fine as long as they are;

Not too big
All get along
Swim at different levels
You change some water weekly i.e. 15-20%

However, i do agree that you would have too much variety in there, and too small numbers of each.
If it were me, i'd add 2 gold neons, 6 neons, 8 julii, 6 platy and 2 peaceful dwarf cichlids, and trade the guppies.

Sanfranman said:
so I have a 55 gallon community tank with an eventual goal of 40 fish. For me, you can never have enough hiding spots. It is well decorated with decor and plants so space is limited. And then I had in idea: I am going to use a half inch PVC pipe "elbow" and attach java moss to it. I'm sure it will look awesome when the moss grows. And I predict the fish will love it also because of the "bend" it has. Has anyone else tried this and how has it worked?

Pots like this

image-4256770690.jpg

Back
Top Bottom