Ideas for other "large" fish for my tank...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cjldad

Aquarium Advice Freak
Current setup/list of tank friends...
75g, Rena Xp4 filter ph of 7 a couple plants..
2 Blue Gourami
7 Schwartz Cory
12 Bloodfin Tetras
9 Black Neon Tetras
4 Oto Cats...

Would like a couple other "large" fish for the upper levels of the tank...
Angel(s)?
Skirt Tetras? (Not really large, but a thought)
Other Gourami if it is pretty colorful??
Rams?
Glass Cats?

Honestly, it sounds like you have made up your mind. All those on your list sound fine even though i would stay away from another gourami. I would probably do some angels and glass cats. You could also do some more bottom dwellers, maybe some loaches. I would also probably do some hatchet fish.

Hrm...sounds like you have a nice setup.

I would not add angels because they will grow up and eventually eat your neons, no matter what anyone says lol...eventually a full grown angel will see little neons as food. In my tank a few survived because it is heavily planted and the neons could hide. But after a year...they are all gone.

Might you consider long finned rosy barbs? They are really beautiful fish and grow to 6 in. The are schoolers and have a very lovely dance when they mate. The males turn really bright red when they are feeling frisky while the females are a beautiful rosy gold colour.

I would agree with you normally but i think that they would be fine considering there black neon tetras which are larger.

Whether they will be fine with the tetras or not depends on the angels personality. I have multiple varieties of tetras in my 75 g with an angel and it has never bothered them.

I also have 3 blue goruamis and 2 gold gouramis in the tank. I was trying for a pair of blues and a pair of golds but made a mistake on the sex of one of the blues when I was selecting them. If you do decide to go with gouramis, I wuold pick a docile species since you already have a gourami, sometimes they don't get along together to well, but I think you will be fine in your 75.

I can't think of any other larger fish that would be suitable atm, but the door is wide open for you in regards to smaller colorful community fish. I/m sure you'll get more suggestions.

No, I haven't made up my mind.. I was just tossing those fish out as something to get an idea of what I like..

The black neons are certainly larger than a standard neon... I will look in to the rosy barbs.. But anything with barb in the name usually makes me nervous.. :)

I don't really want any more bottom dwellers.. All of my bloodfins, and cory's hang out at the bottom.. The black neons stay in the mid to upper level and the gourami kinda all over more so at the top..

Of the two blue gourami I have, the smaller of the two pushes the larger one around.. I'm a every 2 to 3 day feeder, so maybe there is a hunger issue there, I will watch to see how they are after a feeding..

What about a badis????

badis would work even though they hang around towards the bottom. I would look into hatchets, they pretty much only hang out at the top.

Rosy barbs are not bottom dwellers :D They are all over the place...mostly staying in the middle and top. They are aggressive feeders, so they love checking the surface of the water...and also eat hair algae like spaghetti if you ever have any.

YouTube - 29 gallon aquarium tank freshwater ..Clean

That isn't my video, but you can see them schooling with other fish and get an idea of how active they are :D

Gold barbs. I've got 3 in my 37 gal community tank and they are awesome. They are not and have never been aggressive. They're fun to watch after feeding too. Mine are almost 2 inches.

Back
Top Bottom