Identify: which is this ??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

amyb_70

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Otto, Flying Fox, SAE or something else?ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1409658651.379912.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1409658683.496005.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1409658710.840564.jpg
3 photos same fish

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Thank you. Looks diff than the one I'm familiar with.

I would personally say it's a Siamese algea eaters. Chinese algea eaters look a bit different and they grow into fish eating, tank destroying machines lol.

It's a Chinese Algae Eater (Gyrinochelios aymonieri).

Do you have any clearer pictures from the side? That would really be the deciding factor for me. One easy way to get clear pics is to take a video, pause it, and take a screen shot when it's clear

I wish I did. The picture was taken at the store. I had a CAE and got rid of it ASAP. Was given one once as an Oto. The fish pictured doesn't have the dots that connect the line it's more of a solid stripe, the stripe is black and the fish was like a clear iridescent golden tone if that makes sense.

I only have a picture from google. But in my opinion cae have a flatter head than the Siamese algea eaters. Tough to say since the picture is slightly blury, but I'm thinking it's a Siamese algea eater

Only reason I said CAE is because of the diamond like pattern on the main, and darkest line. Last pic does make me think SAE however I'm sticking with CAE.

Here this I.D. chart may help...............ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1409686036.225512.jpg

So either way it's good I didn't chance it. I would not be happy with these killers. I assume SAE are just as mean as CAE. The SAE, Oto and FF all look the same to me. Idk maybe I'm missing something.

So either way it's good I didn't chance it. I would not be happy with these killers. I assume SAE are just as mean as CAE. The SAE, Oto and FF all look the same to me. Idk maybe I'm missing something.

SAE are very peaceful and are quite the polar opposite of CAE, temperament wise anyway.

I'm guessing SAE it's top fin is clear like the photo and the color on top above the black stripe has that color with lighter on bottom. Thank you very much the picture made it super easy to see the differance. CAE is way off those I've been given by the store, claiming they make great peaceful community fish. Which I guess if you like dead fish that would be true. Oops, bad humor.

Oh really? I've heard they are hard to find too. Should I get some?

Thank you I've saved the picture. So what are people's thoughts on these fish? Except the CAE- that will never be again

Oh really? I've heard they are hard to find too. Should I get some?

Depends really on your tank size, tank inhabitants and food level.
They're very nice and social fish that are fun to watch and keep algae at bay. I love em but can't get them for my tank unfortunately.

Siamese Algae Eaters and Ottos prefer to be in groups of 3 or more. Haven't kept Flying Foxes, but I would guess they'd prefer a small school as well. SAEs and Ottos are both amazingly industrious algae eaters that pretty much ignore their tankmates, but there have been reports of SAEs nibbling on long fins. It's possible the long fin nibbles happen when they don't have enough food and/or aren't kept in a group, as I haven't seen my 4 going after my angels or threadfins at all yet.

As a side note, SAEs seem to get along very well with loaches. I have my 4 with a school of 11 Dwarf Chain Loaches and they're constantly schooling and playing with each other. Although how much the SAEs are actually playing back or just calmly ignoring and tolerating their boisterous self-announced friends is still unclear at this point ;)

Siamese Algae Eaters and Ottos prefer to be in groups of 3 or more. Haven't kept Flying Foxes, but I would guess they'd prefer a small school as well. SAEs and Ottos are both amazingly industrious algae eaters that pretty much ignore their tankmates, but there have been reports of SAEs nibbling on long fins. It's possible the long fin nibbles happen when they don't have enough food and/or aren't kept in a group, as I haven't seen my 4 going after my angels or threadfins at all yet.

As a side note, SAEs seem to get along very well with loaches. I have my 4 with a school of 11 Dwarf Chain Loaches and they're constantly schooling and playing with each other. Although how much the SAEs are actually playing back or just calmly ignoring and tolerating their boisterous self-announced friends is still unclear at this point ;)

Actually I'm pretty sure Flying Foxes are like Rainbow Sharks. They need to be kept alone and are fairly territorial, that's what I've heard however.

Actually I'm pretty sure Flying Foxes are like Rainbow Sharks. They need to be kept alone and are fairly territorial, that's what I've heard however.

Ahh, that makes sense then. I just know a lot of people mistake them for SAEs, so I thought they had similar behavior... I know they won't eat algae as much though.

Ahh, that makes sense then. I just know a lot of people mistake them for SAEs, so I thought they had similar behavior... I know they won't eat algae as much though.

Yeah, I like Flying Foxes but I haven't seen one in my area in forever. Plus I wouldn't get one, I've got a Rainbow Shark lol might not end well.

Back
Top Bottom