Illegal danios :(

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I really don't want to buy any more. My danios spawn like twice a week. The last thing I need is a bunch of glofish hybrids that I can't rehome. I'm upset at the fish guy for selling them to me. I'm sure he knows they're illegal. He knew my plan was to breed it to see if I could come up with pink leopard long fins.

We have one of those LED lights with the moon light option. It looks pretty cool in the blue. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1403190001.193631.jpg

There she/he is. Her body looks female to me, but I'm no good at sexing the short fins.

I wouldn't worry, I took a baby queen conch (an endangered species) from the Florida intracoastal and no ones busted me. Lol

And as far as your glofish danios schooling with your natural danios it's not a problem. I've got glofish skirt tetras and regular white skirts and they school together fine. I don't think they can tell the difference. I recommend maybe getting a few more and picking up one of those blue led lights that the company "glofish" make, that really brings out there neon colors! It's pretty sweet.
Also, I think their DNA would be so screwed that they wouldn't be able to breed, but idk I've never tried.

People like you are why species go away and never come back, As to why you would brag about killing off so vulnerable species I still don't know. As to the glofish, they can reproduce fine. They were only genetically changed once and the fluorescence trait is now inheritable. They are all natural descendants of the original glofish.

Well first of all conchs are caught for food and just to be killed so that merchants can sell the shells on the daily. Also almost everything in the wild hunts conchs. If anything I'm saving it, giving it a safe environment free from any poachers or natural predators In the wild. I'm keeping this animal in a very well maintained aquarium and she's very happy, very active, and very much loved with plenty of food to go around so please don't tell me I'm killing off the species because I'm keeping one alive. I'm not the reason they're endangered, I'm the complete opposite.

Also, I'll have you know that I work for DEP (department of environmental protection) in the state of Florida so killing off endangered species isn't really my thing.

Also, I'll have you know that I work for DEP (department of environmental protection) in the state of Florida so killing off endangered species isn't really my thing.

Ok, sorry, yo me it just sounded like you took it for the shell or took it and it promptly died. Sorry...:hide: . But there is a reason that they want people to leave them in the wild, to increase the breeding population. In a tank they have no change to breed and keep the species going. I am by no means an expert on this so sorry in advance if I'm wrong.

I get it, and I did make it should like I was bragging a little about kidnapping an endangered animal. It made me feel good to see lots that day though, one that was bigger than the size of a basketball! I let him go after I got this snap with it here. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1403193912.409978.jpg
Very cool! And good to know that there are plenty still out there (about a half a dozen just in the little square acre I was in that day).

Here's Roxy most recently:
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1403194232.159779.jpg

I really don't want to buy any more. My danios spawn like twice a week. The last thing I need is a bunch of glofish hybrids that I can't rehome. I'm upset at the fish guy for selling them to me. I'm sure he knows they're illegal. He knew my plan was to breed it to see if I could come up with pink leopard long fins.

We have one of those LED lights with the moon light option. It looks pretty cool in the blue. View attachment 240811

There she/he is. Her body looks female to me, but I'm no good at sexing the short fins.

Was the shop you got them from in California? If so he should have known. If it was across the border in AZ, NV, or OR how would he know you were homing the fish in CA unless you told him? Even then it may not have registered on him. I figured when you got it when visiting grandma you were across the border. If not the guy has a real prob if he is selling the fish in California.

Last edited:
That owner is totally in the wrong and should know. Individuals can plead ignorance but not store owners. I'm surprised they haven't been caught.

It funny because I can remember seeing the Tetra glofish tanks in CA, but never an actual glofish.

It funny because I can remember seeing the Tetra glofish tanks in CA, but never an actual glofish.

Considering how the GloFish tanks aren't suitable for GloFish to begin with, that sounds pretty normal to me ;) They're great little betta tanks, as you can get some neat effects with the long flowing fins on the pale or irridescent bettas.

Not true at all, a place that I used to frequent bred them for a bit after they hit the market. Tha is until someone caught wind of it and they received a letter from the developer's attorney stating that the fish was under patent and had to stop. Eggs were originally injected with an anenome gene to gain the coloring, and since it was on the genetic level the color is passed through generations. It would be way too much work to inject millions upon millions of eggs with the genes to create these fish so it is not at all feasible to think that they would be sterile, not all animals that are hybrid or transgenic are infertile.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Really? Thought it was a jellyfish gene. Anywho, that's actually not that inhuman o_o (better than dye's and tattoo's...)

I remember going to one of the private fish stores Near me when I was a younger kid. They had tattooed pink kissers that said: I <3 Jesus.

Yeah, I've always wondered how they did it. I think they had to sedate them then they removed all their scales tattooed them. Put some meds in and let their scales grow back then they would sell them. I've never seem them since as no doubt this is probably illegal now. It was all different colors some had smiley faces. Kinda cool but very cruel

I remember going to one of the private fish stores Near me when I was a younger kid. They had tattooed pink kissers that said: I <3 Jesus.

...That's kinda ironic. The religious folks are usually the ones that are decrying the GloFish for ethical reasons, even when all the GloFish you see now simply inherited the color genes, and then someone thinks they'll go for a fish that underwent a cruel tattoo process? :nono:

I'd have to say If I did happen to see one, I'd buy it. It's not fair to the fish to be kept in a fish shop it's whole life and die from stress in a crowded little tank cause people refuse to buy them. It's messed up and cruel but what's done is done, if the fish did survive, it's not the fishes fault. I'd give them much love and a happy home.

Back
Top Bottom