im planning on getting my brichardi's soon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

krap101

Aquarium Advice Addict
since my tank is cycled now. is tehre anything to watch out for. look for etc etc... because well probally go out soon

Have you raised the pH and hardened the water? (e.g. by adding a crushed coral or aragonite substrate, and crushed coral in the filter).

Basically watch and make sure the tank is stable.
Is this correct:
You are adding two brichardi, one bristlenose and 2 SAE??

I still think you should keep it to brichardi and the pleco if you want them to breed.

okay ill do that :). ooh i guess i better check the ph today. the one thing i forgot. ;'(. thx :).

all of the subsrate is aragnite. the kind frmo homedepot (play sand [frmo carribbean]) (says its sterilized)

okay ph is around 8.2.

how do you do a water change and not stress the fish? because my water is around 7.2

Small water changes. 10% to 15% a week. Vacuum the bottom while draining the old water. Make sure the fresh water is about the same temp as the tank water. Use a dechlorinator.
If you have to change more water do it over several days.

Why not try the following (well, I don't know if this is a feasible idea for you as parents can be silly about such things):

Get a 5 gallon bucket that you can cover to keep dust and foreign material out. Put some aragonite in the bucket. Put some water in there (do NOT dechlorinate it yet!!!!). Let that sit waiting for your next water change. When it is time to do the water change you can do 10% tap water dechlorinated AND you dechlor the water in the bucket which you have already been conditioning to a higher pH to finish out your water change. This is only a problem if your parents make a big deal about having a bucket full of water sitting around the house but I'm sure if you are careful no accidents will happen. After the water change refill the 5 gallon bucket for next week.

The reason why I say to WAIT until you do the water change to dechlor it is the chlorine in the water in the bucket will make sure nothing grows in the bucket while you are waiting for the pH to go up for your next water change.

This is what I would do (and was planning to do if I ever set up a hard water high pH tank).

A drop in .4 will not cause the fish harm--that is why smaller water changes will be better. I have a 50 gal community tank that is towards neutral. My tap water is nearer to a pH of 8. The fish are fine during water changes.

okay thx.

i got 2 brichardi's today. ones like 3/4 the size of the male (its female) [i think it looks a little younger but the fin extentions are more femaleish. im lpanning on getting the bristlenose in a couple days. im acclimating them right now.

anything i have to do. like raise temp to make em breed or just give em time.

i finally got the sandstone/slate. i put a rock to prop it up. theres a little cave under it. i have a piece of wood sitting in an icebox that im going to put on top of the slate once it sinks. i gotta wait for the sand to settle since i moved it around :)

Note that the actual change in pH will depend on the buffering capacity of your tank water and your tap water (and because pH is a logarithmic scale). As an example, if your tap water is pH 7 and your tank is pH 8, a 50% water change will probably not yield pH 7.5. Your tank water is likely more buffered than your tap water, so your tank's pH drop will probably be smaller. That said, start with small water changes, give your tank a few minutes to equilibrate, then measure the pH again.

That way you will have more of an idea of how big a water change you can get away with if you need to do it for emergency reasons (ammonia spike, etc...)

i know. i was just making my point that there will be a ph drop. thx for the tips everyone. i got my bristlenose pleco today. :) its a male and its brown with yellow stripes. im gonna call im stinger :). cuz he looks like a bee :). it doesnt look like any disease so i think its a color morph

oh and at first i thought it was female but when he bagged it and i looked closely then i saw the branch off of the bristles

Back
Top Bottom