Important ph question!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jadedrain_06

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have been checking levels daily over the past few days since it just cycled and I added a goregous Betta. Yesterday the ph was 7.4 and today when I checked it was 8.0-8.2! Completely flipping out because I know some fish especially bettas can be flinky and sensitive to ph. I did do a water change yesterday so maybe I messed up and overdosed the tank with Prime. I have been adding .01 mls for each gallon I take out. The package said 5mls for 50 gal. So 1 ml per 10 gallon and .01 mls per gallon. It is a 10 gallon and yesterday I did a 30% WC and added .35mls because I have heard a little bit more is safe as long as it is not doubled. Any advice would be fabulous! Rama is very active and swimming elegantly through out his home. So I don't think he is currently showing any symptoms just want to figure out what I did and what I need to do to fix this problem. Thanks!

Okay, you just did a water change? Do you have any buffers in the water?

What I notice is that before WC my pH is low, and after it's high again. I think pH gradually lowers over time, though someone can correct me on that if that is false.

I am not sure if we have buffers. We have city water so I don't know if that means yes or no. I know there are differences between city and well. Yesterday I did a WC and it was 7.4 and then today its up to 8.0-8.2 (so close I couldn't tell for sure). Repeated it twice to just make sure I did it correctly. So should I retest tonight and if it doesn't change by tomorrow should I do another change? So out of my element on ph flucations. I was more worried about ammonia, nitrites and nitrates while I was cycling I never really paid much attention to ph.

Back
Top Bottom