in wall tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
N

need_havoc

hello,
i am interested in putting a fish tank in my home bar, so i thought this might be a good place for some advice. the problem is that i want to sink it in the wall flush. and on the other side is my master closet. just concerned about moisture and smell?
any help would be great, i am new to aquariums

I think you are correct to be concerned about moisture, especially because the tank would be 'enclosed' in your closet. I know that my tank loses quite a bit of water to evaporation each week, so I would advise you to rethink your project.

Is there anywhere else in the room that you can build it into the wall? Also, how big is the tank? Do you have the proper floor support?

I love the in-wall tanks. Please keep us updated on how you plan to proceed.

floor support is fine, that room is on a slab. as for the size in gallons i'm not sure. its got about a 2'6"x1'1" footprint, any idea on how many gals. that might be?

my closet is big enough that i may have to build a false wall and leave it open to the attic, to seperate it from the clothes.

If you left the closet drywall you could put up vapor barrier all the way around where the tank is contained, then have a couple fans exhausting back into the office (check an electronics store for something like 120mm AC fans...or bigger if you like). That might be enough to prevent any problems. Since the tank side will be warmer, due to the lights/heater, you shouldn't have condensation on the outside of the barrier.

Of course, getting the supports set up and getting things sealed properly might be a better job to hand to a contractor. I don't think it would be terribly difficult, but they'd have a better idea of how to do it safely than I (personally) would. Also, if you're going to hide all the wires you're going to have to do some rewiring yourself. I would be concerned about that and possible high humidity, if you didn't have enough air flow.

Plus, a good contractor would have a better idea how to do it and pass inspection, if you ever sell the house, or get insurance.

Make sure you leave room either in the back (like a door inside the closet for access) or enough on top on the viewing side (a flip up door that looks like the wall or tank trim) to do your cleaning and water changes.

Back
Top Bottom