inherited new fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

woodsplace1

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have inherited a 30 gallon tank and a new fish. It is relatively large and could possibly be a shark? I am trying to upload pics but it keeps saying I am over my quota of 2 MB. I have the pic down to 640X480 pixels.

I am trying again. I am hoping someone knows what this is so I can research and care for it as needed.

Thanks,
Ginger

it is not letting me upload it...any suggestions?

At first I thought it could be a Black Shark but the fin structure looks "off". How big is it?

no clue, it is about 10-11 inches long my guess...has big eyes and whiskers of sort...what is an ID shark?

thanks for the input

I'll check up on ID sharks

he's been in this 30 gal for about 3 years now so I think he is grown to his full capacity. I inherited him from a family member so just wanted to know what to expect and how to care for him properly..

thanks to all

I knew it didn't look right! :) He will grow much bigger as long as he is in the proper environment. A 30 gal is not big enough to house him.

any ideas what I should do then if he has been in this 30 gallon for 3 years...I want to give him the best environment but I don't know if I can afford anything more than what I have now...

I am checking on bigger aquariums for prices now. I can't give him away. Someone asked me to care for him to the best of my ability. I would like to keep him because my brother in law wanted to be sure I got him. He knew I would care for him. Any suggestions on how big of a tank to get so I can start doing some pricing. I am going to do this the right way.

he's been in this 30 gal for about 3 years now so I think he is grown to his full capacity.
You'll be amazed when he gets in a bigger tank and starts growing again. Small tanks do not always limit size (some times you will see a large Oscar that can barely turn around in the tank it grew up in), but they will limit life expectancy. It's a shame fish that can reach a meter are sold for the hobby. Upgrade to the largest tank you can afford. Check classifieds, eBay and Craig's list for the best deals.

Given enough space...this guy could reach anywhere from 3 to 4 feet in length, but that would mean a huge tank. On planetcatfish.com it says 51 inches...which would be just over 4 feet. Check out these pictures on the PC site. Wow.

If you plan on keeping this guy, I'd plan on getting around a 200g tank....just a guess. Or if you could make some type of big indoor pond, that would be even better. If he lives in a tank that is too small, he obviously won't grow to 4 feet, but will be stunted. If you can't provide a big enough home for him, I'd donate him to the local zoo or aquarium. You can tell you bro in law that you did the best you could, which was better than he could do.

hc8719 said:
your brother in law didnt even tell you what kind it was, just gave you a fish?

he passed away and so I feel like it is my part to care for him. He knew I loved fish. There is NO way I can get a 200 gallon tank or have any type of indoor pond. We don't have the space. I am at a loss and torn. I was hoping someone would have something to say that would be uplifting, I guess I need to do what is best for the shark. Thanks

Sorry about your bro in law. So you really did inherit this fish....I thought he just gave it to you. Alot of times people do that because they know they can't take care of it properly so they just pass it on to someone else...but I see thats not the case here.

We are just giving you the facts. This is one of those fish that IMO shouldn't be sold regularly in LFS. You should have to special order it if you have a tank large enough. Many fish will outgrow the tanks that people can afford and it makes me sad that they are sold regularly. Not many people can get a tank big enough for an ID shark...or atleast the right size tank. Most of the time they get stunted and die an early death because they were kept in a tank that was too small.

I know you want to do the right thing and if you can't get the tank/pond he needs...finding him an appropriate home is the best thing you can do. Maybe if the local zoo or aquarium will take him, you can atleast go visit and see how big he gets. That should make you feel good to see him grow to the right size and not see him stunted.

Back
Top Bottom