input on fish selection please...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

thetmaxx

Aquarium Advice Activist
currently I have a dwarf algae eater, figure 8 puffer, and a electric yellow chiclid, and sometimes its hard to tell if i even have any fish living in there at all.

Im only 10 gallons, but i was wondering what people thought i could do. I also have an algae problem as the little algae eater cant keep up well, and gets chased from the bottom of the tank yellow thinks he owns... I was thinking of adding another dwarf to help him, and i even thought of getting rid of yellow.

mostly i want to get rid of yellow because hes too mean to other fish for the aquarium size. they just dont have too much places to hide from him.

i was thinking of adding a angelfish, i really like them, but dont knwo their aggressiveness. i think most comunity fish would be ok wiht puffer, as he isnt agresive at all.

mainly i would like some more fish... and its hard to not overstock because its so small. any input would be very appreciated. (ps due to budget i cant buy more glass...)

I'm surprised the puffer isn't aggressive...usually you only put fish in with a puffer as food! :)

I don't think a cichlid and a puffer will make good tankmates, especially in a 10 gallon. Also, that cichlid will probably eventually grow to 5", and they like room to swim. I think the puffer is a good choice to stay in there (as long as he is a dwarf puffer, I'm not too familiar with the figure-8's), but that will limit your choices for tankmates...

Have you tried a chinese algae eater? I know a lot of people don't like them because they can get aggressive, but he might be OK in with a puffer and he will EASILY keep a 10 gallon clean.

I am holding out my hands for slapping if that's a bad idea, but I might try it...:)

Paul

i used to have one, and he grew to like 5", and my chiclid is already like 5". but the chineese did great with puffer and yellow. as far as holding his ground. the puffer is dwarf... his max size is like 2"-3"? but i gave the chineese algae eater to my freinds 29 gal because everyone was telling me my tank was way overstocked.

i thought about getting another until i learned that they made dwarf algae eaters. and i thought he would b perfect, but now im thinking about getting another?

I've been looking at Aquaria Central's thing, i searched fro fish that would be well suited for a 10 gallon tank, and most of the dwarf chiclids seem peaceful... anyone have any experience with them? no pictures, but they sound good. also are they hard to find? I have a few pretty good aquariums in town.

also maybe having 2 octocinclus? i see there are different types? and what is a killifish?

i agree with pkremer that the cichlid and puffer wont make good tankmates. i wouldn't risk putting in a dwarf cichlid in with a puffer either.

i also dont think that the otto cats would be a good idea either, they arent able to hold their own really, not against a puffer anyway. i second the chinese algae eater idea.

for info on killifish, check out: http://www.killi.net/start.html

HTH

First of all if you have an actual fig. 8 puffer they do not stay small! That 10gal tank will quickly become too small for him. And is your tank brackish? Fig 8's are a brackish puffer turning full salt as adults. I would say that if you want to keep the puffer, return yellow to your LFS or a friend and look at another algea eater. I have a CAE and he does a good job at keeping my 50gal clean and is not too big. I know everyone says that they get aggresive but he should be fine with the puffer.

Angel fish in a big no no...... First 10gal is too small angels get quite large and full bodied when they are adults. Second they have long flowing fins that your fig. 8 will tear to shreds. Even if your puff doesn't look aggresive now he will be as he ages.

Good luck with with your choice, I would love to see some pics of your puffer!

there is a pic in my gallery of all my fish, he has a figure 8 on his head and petco says its a figure 8 and capitol aquarium seconds that name. and i did not know that about the figure 8 puffer but i think i did hear somewhere someone saying that there are no true freshwater puffers??

also chinese algae eater was a very good fish, but because everyone jumped down my throat when i told them i had a CAE, chiclid, and a puffer in the same tank, becuz it was way over stocked, i decided to go with the dwarf otocinclus, who seems top stay out of chiclids way, but i dont think he's happy...

it seems like i might be beter off startign from scratch? but i really love my puffer!!! what would be suggested for maximizing the number of fish, but keeping them all small? and i really dont feel like dealing with brakish water... say i went bck to the CAE wouldnt that limit me to 5" of fish in the tank besides him?

ive seen some people here that have 10 gallon tanks way over stocked, so i was wondering if i push the 10" or fish thing a little is it ok? some people seem to get by over stocking, but how feasable is it, and what r the side effects.

thank you all so much, your helping way more than anyone at petco ever has!!

There are many freshwater puffers. Dwarfs will never get larger than 1". If yours is, he's something else. i've never heard that Fig 8's eventually need marine. Green spotted puffers do. You could keep one Fig 8 in a ten gallon, algae eater should be alright.
For excellent info on puffers: www.thepufferforum.com.
www.dwarfpuffers.com.

Kim

thetmaxx said:
also chinese algae eater was a very good fish, but because everyone jumped down my throat when i told them i had a CAE, chiclid, and a puffer in the same tank, becuz it was way over stocked, i decided to go with the dwarf otocinclus, who seems top stay out of chiclids way, but i dont think he's happy...

Nobody is jumping down your throat, really. Everyone is really just trying to help. :)

thetmaxx said:
ive seen some people here that have 10 gallon tanks way over stocked, so i was wondering if i push the 10" or fish thing a little is it ok? some people seem to get by over stocking, but how feasable is it, and what r the side effects.

The 1" per gallon rule really only applies to smaller fish. That 5" cichlid needs to be in a much larger tank (probably a 20 gallon at the very smallest). He will continue to bully your other fish because he doesn't have enough territory in that small tank to call his own.

The best advice I can give you is to take the cichlid back and try to find a few suitable small tankmates for the puffer.

Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom