Instantly Clear Murky Water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NiaCas

Aquarium Advice Activist
I know this is a long shot. There probably isn't a way to do this, but I though just MAYBE someone had a neat trick.
I'm redoing one of my bigger tanks, so I'm trying to move my fish to different tanks. This also involves taking all the plants out. I was setting up a smaller tank - moved one of the filters from the bigger tank to it, put in some of the aquarium of the water from the bigger tank, etc. While I was waiting for the temp tank to fill up and the water to heat up so it would be ready for the fish, I made the mistake of deciding to take out some of the plants for soaking. This disturbed the substrate and freaked out a couple of my loaches which made it way worse. Now I can't see in the tank AT ALL. :facepalm: I've still got a bunch of tetras and a few loaches to get out and I can't even see them to grab 'em :banghead:

I've gotta get this done soon, so I don't have time to wait for the tank to settle and I've tried changing some of the water and added a couple filters to the tank to see if it'll help, but it hasn't really :/

Anyone have any neat tricks that'll clear my water really fast even just for 5 minutes so I can grab the rest of the fish?

What substrate is it, a dirt under gravel for plants? the only thing I can suggest is to sweep through with a good size net or siphon the tank way down.......

Taking a fine net and sweeping it around to collect larger debris works pretty well. The filters should be able to take care of the rest fairly quickly. Lowering the water level helps as well so long as it doesn't interfere with your filter.

Alternatively, lower the water level quite low, then add water back in. This will naturally dillute the debris and make it easier to see through. Repeat as necessary until its clear enough. Just make sure you're carefully matching the temperature of the existing water so you don't shock the fish.

Thanks guys. I ended up having a bit more time than I thought, so I just spent some time switching the water out until I could see well enough to grab the fish :)

Back
Top Bottom