Brightwell Aquatics Blackwater Clear

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishlover94

Aquarium Advice Activist
Has anyone ever used this product? I heard black quarter is good for some of their fish. I'm adding, but I don't like the tint too much. I heard this is still a black water product, but it is less tinted, has anyone used this?

I haven't used it but generally if it's a lighter colour, it's a watered down version of everything else. Unless you are keeping wild caught fishes or breeding soft water fishes from the Amazon or tropical Asia, you don't need blackwater extracts. If you want to make your own, you can add a couple of dry leaves from a deciduous tree to the tank. As these soak they will release tannins (the brown stuff in tea and blackwater) into the water.

Generally any deciduous tree is fine to use, oaks are a favorite of mine because I had an English oak in my backyard when i was a kid. Avoid using conifers (softwoods like pine trees) and any plants that are known to be toxic.

My 12 Rummynose and 12 Cardinal Tetra are wild caught 6 Cherry Barb, but my 7 Congo Tetra are Captive breed.

I have some driftwood soaking in my bathtub. It's 24" by 10" So it could sink and then. After that, I am hoping it will release tannins.

Driftwood should release tannins any time it's in water, regardless of if it has sunk.

With wild caught tetras from the Amazon, make sure the GH of the water is low (below 50ppm) and the pH is below 7.0. Tannins aren't really needed for keeping them in an aquarium but soft water is. Tannins will be required if you want to breed them.

Back
Top Bottom