Interesting phenomenon in filter pad

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

adeebm

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I was in the cleaning mood today, and decided to clean out the sponges in my AC70 while doing a water change. I don't clean them very often, so quite a bit of mulm collects there. When I took the sponges out, they didn't feel spongy, but quite solid. They were also almost completely black. I took a sniff, expecting a fishy odor. Much to my surprise, it smelled very earthy. I cleaned it out, and the particles came out, almost passing for peat moss. All the fish waste, plant material, etc that had been trapped there must have basically composted and then compacted there. I basically made dirt in my filter. Quite interesting IMO.

--Adeeb

The Nitrosoma and Nitrobacter bacteria species that you find in the filter is very similar to those found in soil. Therefore it mostly will have the same smell.

Always interesting to see what you find in those things eh? Last time I rinsed the media and sponge on my bog, I rinsed out at least one scud, some snails, and a small damselfly nymph. There was also a large stonefly nymph hanging out in the filter, but I couldn't get him out, so I just left him in there.

That's a definite indication that you need to rinse the sponges more often.

Not necessarily. I do weekly 50% water changes. That combined with the number of plants I have means my nitrates are usually under 5ppm. Plus my AC is the backup filter, I have a canister doing most of the work.

--Adeeb

epiphysis said:
The Nitrosoma and Nitrobacter bacteria species that you find in the filter is very similar to those found in soil. Therefore it mostly will have the same smell.

thats interesting and awsome

Back
Top Bottom