Change and cleaned all filter media

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I wouldnt call what you plan a complete reset. Its just a rescape really.

How are you going to recycle the tank? Are you going to get an ammonia source and do a fishless cycle before returning your fish or are you only temporarily move your fish into smaller tanks while you rescape and then return them to the 19g to do a fish in cycle.

How long to cycle? No way of knowing for sure. As you are retaining the filters, if they arent allowed to dry out they shouldnt need recycling. Perhaps move them to one of the smaller tanks and keep them running while you do your rescape. You will lose some beneficial bacteria that is living on your substrate and decorations, so your cycle might need to catch up a little. If you do a good job retaining your filtration in good order it might only take a day or 2 to catch up, it might be you get an instant cycle. If you do a poor job and completely lost your cycle it normally takes 6 to 8 weeks to cycle a tank.

Hey, I think I didn't name it properly, I will do a recape. so I have two filters and sponge filter on my 19 gallon cause I didn't not understand what was causing the strange particles. one have both been running for more than couple months. so my plan was to to run one filter and sponge filter in 19 gallon while I run the other one in 10 gallon and maybe get another fish later for the 10 gallon and run filter in it. Umm. my question can I put fish immediately back in to 19 gallon once I set it up. doing it this method.

Yes. By removing one of the filters you will lose some beneficial bacteria in the tank and the cycle will need to catch up a little. But monitor water quality and change water as needed until you fully restore your cycle

Hey everyone,

So My husband picked up cherry shrimp for my fish tank.They gave me some plants with it and I think that might be the host of them. I threw out the plant because I did not have treatment spot for it. As soon as I submerged the bag in fish tank I noticed it had I think planaria. (long white worm like things that slithered.) Thankfully I had just for a new 10 gallon tank same time which I was going to be getting ready for my guppies as they are having babies like crazy. So I pull out 10 percent water from my already established tank they were suppose to go in. I added that to the 10 gallon tank which is divides so technically 5 gallon. I did not have heater or my sponge filter. So I am hoping air stone will do for oxygenation. I ordered planira medication for thr aquarium as it was to late for me to go to pet shop to buy it. It will come come tommorrow. Now my question, once I put the plania medication can I acclimate them and put them in main tank. Or how do I fill their current tank with water with out shocking them too much and causing new tank ammonia spike?

I do not want to make my current tank get infected and I am trying to not get these shrimps to die on me as well

Please Help.

How big are the white worms?
Can you post some pictures and or a 1 minute video of them?
You can upload videos to YouTube, then copy & paste the link here.

Planaria are small (3-6m, less than 1/4 inch long) and have an arrow shaped head. There are other types of aquatic worms that are bigger and are harmless.

--------------------

If you have the new shrimp in a tank without a filter, only feed them 2-3 times a week and do a 75-90% water change every day. You can use water from the other tank for this, then top up the main tank with tap water.
Make sure any new water is free of chlorine/ chloramine before it's added to the tank.

--------------------

Some of the medications used to kill Planaria will also kill shrimp and snails so check the directions before adding anything, and if possible, get a positive identification on the actual worm/s.

Im lost on the timeline here.

Are you saying you think the white particles in the water you reported in June are worms? Or is the worms a new issue unrelated to the original topic of your thread?

Back
Top Bottom