is a 4.5 gallon tank big enough?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

El_diablo

Aquarium Advice Activist
I bought a Siamese fighting fish around 4 weeks ago and had it in my 30 gallon tank but my black widows were nipping at it's fins quite badly so I put him in my 4.5 gallon tank out of harms way, I don't want to put him back in my 30 gallon tank but I'm worried the 4.5 gallon is too small?

Any opinions?

I'm assuming your talking about a Betta... But he should be fine in that size tank. Obviously they like bigger but they do well in cramped conditions. If you don't want to do that, buy and cycle a ten gallon from wal-mart for ten bucks.

Your betta will be fine in that 4.5 gallon. That's a pretty nice size for a betta IMO.

He will be fine alone. If you want to, you could try something like an amano shrimp or a nerite snail for a "cleanup crew". Cherry shrimp adults would be fine too, although any babies that the betta can find will be eaten.

I ended up with the neon tetras and a pleco...they are all okay but I have to tansfer the pleco pretty soon coz they will grow big and they will not fit in a 5g anymore. i might go get me a nerite snail after and some ghost shrimps in replace of the neon tetras, just because of the size of my tank. the betta can be my center piece fish...and I have another 4.4G that I can transfer my tetras at.

5 gallons is too small for neons, and it is too small to keep other fish with the betta. That is why I suggested shrimp or a snail.

5 gallons is too small for neons, and it is too small to keep other fish with the betta. That is why I suggested shrimp or a snail.

yes...someone told me that before and so that is why I am planning to get nerite snail and ghost shrimp when I get more money...I know now that there are not enough space for all of them in my 5G.

:-D

yes...someone told me that before and so that is why I am planning to get nerite snail and ghost shrimp when I get more money...I know now that there are not enough space for all of them in my 5G.

:-D

I think just about everybody starts out this way. I know I did! :)

i definitely did too..:-D of course I was so naive...just thought you can put anything in a tank...but I know better now..

Back
Top Bottom